Ph.D. v Eng.D.

Smythe

What is the difference, after graduation, between a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) and an Eng.D. (Doctor of Engineering)?

since 1992 some British universities have introduced Engineering Doctorate (EngD) schemes. The programme is undertaken over four years. Students conduct PhD-equivalent research and undertake taught business and technical courses whilst working closely with an industrial sponsor. Successful candidates are awarded the degree of Doctor of Engineering (EngD) and are addressed as doctor. In the UK, approximately equivalent qualifications to a doctorate are the NVQ 5 or QCF 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Engineering

What are the benefits of doing one over the other? Once graduated, how is one generally viewed in comparison to the other?

I know someone can potentially become a university academic with a Ph.D., is this also the case with a Eng.D.?

Thanks.

Not in that area but have never come across a D.Eng, due to a connection l know a number of PhDs which would be a much more recognised qualification in Ireland.

I think most 3rd level institutions are looking to get their lecturers to have Doctorates. Perhaps you should make contact with the Engineering Dept where you went to college to see what their view is.

It generally comes down to where you've studied. People tend to look at the university rather than the degree title.

Most people haven't heard of Eng.D. so it's best avoided if you can get a PhD instead. I work in engineering and have never come across an Eng.D.

I'd be inclined to agree with the previous two posts. I've heard of the German version (Dr.-Ing.) OK, but this seems to be a relatively new title in the UK, and not one I've come across before (I also have an engineering background).

It all depends on who awards it I guess: fine if from Imperial College London or University of Manchester, both of which apparently award it, possibly less so if from some of the other places that do so.

Back