Attaching a wall bracket to plasterboard

M

marktwigg

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I was just a bit confused by a previous post. I want to attach a LCD TV to a plasterboard wall and I have a stud detector and have strong wall plugs (which say they are for concrete, brick and solid wood).

I was going to use these into the stud they also should not be used when there is more than 3mm of finish on the wood. Therefore I am stuck as to whether I should use the wall plugs I have into the stud, or whether I should use the special plasterboard wall plugs into the stud or should use standard wall plugs into the stud.

Sorry if it seems confusing but I am clearly confused.

The size of the TV will also have a bearing on the fixings. Dont fix a TV to plasterboard, you need it in the timber stud or through timber into the blockwork.
If you have the stud just use long screws no need for plugs.

If you can find the stud(s) just use wood screws. Drill a hole big enough for the solid shaft of the screw, put some soap on the screws as you drive them in. Maybe add spring washers too.

SSE

There is another way you could do it but its a bit convaluted (and my wife would say I am too).

What you do is get a section of 18mm board Plywood or MDF cut to a size that will cover at least 2 studs, mould or chamfer the edge so it won't be too obvious.

Position the board onto the wall wherever you want it to go try to have the tv in the center of it.

When you have its position place the board onto the wall use no more nails and screws into the studs for extra support, leave it for 24 hours then paint it the same colour as the wall.

Then hang your tv on it.

you have the wrong fixings. with respect, SLF if a person cant put a screw in a wall then they probably dont have access to all the tools necessary to cut ,chamfer, and fix 18mm mdf in the same way as you or i would. he /she only needs the plaster board fixings that screw directly into the plaster board and then screw into them. their about €2 for 10 in any local hardware . they are remarkably strong for what they are.

Donee, the fixings are strong, but what about the plasterboard and the point loads of a TV suspended 6" away from the wall surface? I reckon the bracket will rotate, forcing the lower fixings to collapse and the top ones to pull out of the plasterboard.

no only if someone swings out of it and if he can get a fixing into a stud then the jobs oxo

Thanks guys the help is much appreciated. I have hung things using the studs before but was a bit concerned due to the extra pressure caused by having the TV away from the wall. Wan't sure whether just screwing directly into the stud would be enough.

have to hijack this a bit and ask the question about attaching fittings on the walls where i have used the 25 mm insulated slabs, is there extra long rawl plugs etc

I wouldn't hang an expensive TV on plasterboard brackets! But maybe I'm just chicken...!

There are previous posts on this precise topic, and I previously recommended the plywood plate screwed into the studs, then mount the TV bracket onto the plate (you'll never see the plate anyway, so the quality of finish is immaterial - I've done this before, and you CAN swing out of it!). There is a paper template for the TV bracket that comes with the TV, and it is much easier to trace out the holes, etc on to a plate than into studs, and as I said, I wouldn't do it without going into the studs. Good luck

have to hijack this a bit and ask the question about attaching fittings on the walls where i have used the 25 mm insulated slabs, is there extra long rawl plugs etc

As described before with a plywood plate, but simply use longer screws into the studs.

Back