Public Service is Recruiting Again

Many are forgetting that (for example) a nurse can make more money in the private sector which accounts for the large exit of nurses from the public scene. There will be a minimum of 500 nurses alone recruited. Then we need more Gardaí. I haven't got to the Dept of Social Welfare yet. Then there is the rest of the civil service. Agency staff will have to get the hammer too. So minimum 2000 clerical officer jobs will be on offer.

The economy needs this amount for an injection of much needed cash too.

Many are forgetting that (for example) a nurse can make more money in the private sector which accounts for the large exit of nurses from the public scene. There will be a minimum of 500 nurses alone recruited. Then we need more Gardaí. I haven't got to the Dept of Social Welfare yet. Then there is the rest of the civil service. Agency staff will have to get the hammer too. So minimum 2000 clerical officer jobs will be on offer.

The economy needs this amount for an injection of much needed cash too.

Your username is starting to make sense!!

Nurses aren't clerical officers, Gardai aren't clerical officers.

With respect, you clearly don't understand what you're talking about...

I think that is splitting hairs, the OP's original point is that there will be more state jobs coming, speculate as to where or how many but a panel is going to be formed, I have a friend a SNA, that is a Co post, there are over 200 jobs coming there for a September launch, that was in the papers.

This is a good news story worthy of a mention and gives hope to plenty of young people and those older folks looking to reinvent, let's not split hairs.

My bog standard minion clerical officer guess is it'll be a 3 figure amount. The whole idea was to get rid of staff, they've done a fairly decent job on that. People are doing more work than they used to IMO (the workload has been spread from the positions lost).
Having said that it would be just typical of the politicians in this country to give the go ahead hire everyone again at the slightest upturn.
I wonder if that happens will I get my 2.5 hours, with more money and less work back? Here an educated guess on that one: No!

1. My username is what I chose; whether it makes sense to you are not does not bother me. Clearly, it bothers you.
2. I know nurses and Gardaí are not clerical officers. They are public service and their representative bodies were at pains they were front line staff unlike clerical workers.
3. I full well know what I am talking about (your "with respect" is not with respect) - cop yourself on!

Palerider is right and I presume even for you mandelbrot I do not have to repeat.

There is a rising tide and it will lift all ships, be part of it. There is a glimmer of hope, let's grab it.

As a poster who is very intrigued by this advertisements and put in an application form, I would be interested in some feedback from anyone who can help, can better advise.
I am in my early thirties, out of college ten years, and worked for most of the time in the private sector.
My concern is that I may be perceived as being too ‘old’ for this sort of role, purely because I would imagine many CO’s would have joined straight after college or school.
Am I wrong to think that ‘seniority’ is the be all and end all when it comes to promotion in this sort of role? IE would I effectively be perceived as an 18-year-old?
I am somewhat concerned by Shoestrings insight, but valuable as it is.
Also, can those not working in the service realistically get in at the middling grades or realistically, if you can’t show you joined a day after college/school are you wasting your time?
How likely are EO roles likely to come up? And how can one demonstrate relevant private sector experience to enter the service at the that grade?
My issue is I would have to take a major pay drop to enter this level, and similar to Shoestring, I would be doing so with the intention of moving on/going for potential promotion in time, and would like to think there would the chance of increasing salary etc.
If people could advise? I am very interested in the fact that the service is recruiting again, it is a positive sign, but there are pros and cons too. Many thanks.
Also, I am I right in thinking an AO salary scale begins at circa 30k and EO slight less?
Is there any sort of a public sector tax calculator online that allows one to check for increased levies that public servants pay etc?

I notice the general Civil Service is recruiting on a large scale again. Advertisements appeared on newspapers last week.

There has been little or no talk about these jobs which will be in thousands.

Lets go back to the start - what ads in the papers last week are you talking about? I'm entirely open to correction, but the only large scale recruitment I saw advertised recently is for Clerical Officers. Hence as far as I can see, your prattling on about nurses and Gardai is fairly irrelevant..?

Thanks you Mandelbrot for giving so many people so much hope. For your reality have a look at Jobseeker1 post just above yours.

Therefore, I will address Jobseeker1's post.
You are not too old in your 30's to join the civil service. Opportunities to join above the clerical officer level will come later, but you will be faced with much internal competition (probably greater than you think).

One person I know joined the PS as a clerical officer aged 49. He had worked in the private sector and for a while he was self employed (10 fulltime + others parttime). He saw the writing on the wall before the recession and competed for a clerical officer competition and was successful.

He had difficulties over his first 3 months as a clerical officer. He was the oldest in his section. He was the only male working. His manager bullied him and had bullied others.

This guy had been through the mill and bullying was easy-peasy to him. He recorded everything and within his first 100 days built up an unassailable case against his manager. He brought her to her knees and earned the respect of everybody else. The manager would have been suspended and sacked but for his intervention.

Competition for junior managers came three years later and he competed and won. He does not regret his decision to join the PS at its lowest clerical level. He brought a wealth of experience and information to a dull enough job. He dragged the area into modern times. The foregoing is a huge paraphrase of what happened.

Competition for the clerical officer posts will be great. If you are successful you will see that you are paying extra in pension levies (as against towards your own pension). If you are not willing to compete then you have no chance. If you do compete and are successful, at least, you will have options.

Thanks you Mandelbrot for giving so many people so much hope. For your reality have a look at Jobseeker1 post just above yours.

This is like trying to get a stroppy teenager to have a reasoned discussion.. where have I tried to suck the hope out of anyone?!?

It now seems again that you are talking just about the CO competition - it's a very simple question and not unreasonable surely, to ask are you talking just about that or are there other competitions announced last week that I didnt hear about? Genuine question, and you won't answer it.

I'm NOT trying to be negative about the competition or the jobs - simply trying to temper what I see as an unrealistic suggestion that thousands of new COs will be hired from the upcoming competition.

I think it's a good opportunity for people with an interest in making a career in the civil service, to enter the service as CO's - my former PO entered service as a CO in the mid 90s and through open competitions as well as confined promotions, made it to PO level in less than ten years.

In my own case, I joined since the recession started (albeit not at CO), successfully competed and progressed up a grade within almost the minimum of time, and I personally know several others who've done the same.

No doubt about it, looking at the age profile of the civil service, there will be very good and relatively frequent opportunities for progression over the next 10 years.

Thanks Leper for your insight, and honesty, much appreciated.
I've taken your points on board, and as you said, if you are not in you can't win.
I'll see if I progress to interview etc first.
Is there anywhere online with tips for CO/EO/AO competitions?
Many thanks.

Back