Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Hi Komori and Fifitrixi,
I'm also waiting to complete the puchase of a house in Castletreasure. My solicitor advised me to get an engineer to look things over and I thought it would be just a formality but there were several things that need to be fixed so I'm glad I did now. I sent my snag list in a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet from the council. I did drive up there the other day and the doors to several houses were open and it looked like the builders may have been working on the snag lists. Hopefully! I am now getting worried though cos my solicitor sent said the council sent her a letter saying everything had to be finished and signed by the 17th Dec. Did anyone else get this letter? I still haven't signed anything cos I was waiting for the snag list to be done...

Hi guys, im stiil a good few weeks behind ye.
Still waiting for my engineer to do the snag, he keeps putting it off and im under pressure to get it done. Ive changed my mortgage to variable from fixed but the offer is set to run out in the new year. wont be a problem there id say but i dont want the hassle.
my solicitor has all the contracts but im not signing till the snag is done and sent in.
i also havent been asked for the deposit for the house, have it sitting an an account waiting.
When did ye, if at all pay it?

Still waiting for my engineer to do the snag, he keeps putting it off and im under pressure to get it done. Ive changed my mortgage to variable from fixed but the offer is set to run out in the new year. wont be a problem there id say but i dont want the hassle.
my solicitor has all the contracts but im not signing till the snag is done and sent in.
i also havent been asked for the deposit for the house, have it sitting an an account waiting.

Hi Guys,

I don't know about you, but I have felt this whole process has been a complete nightmare. I know they say it will be worth it in the end, but all I can say is I have never dealt with such an unprofessional organisation. It has now got to the stage, they just want the sales closed, and have no interest in doing the snag lists, that was certainly the impression I got when speaking with them. It is a process and they above anyone should ensure that this process is fully completed correctly, and snag lists are a part of any sale in a new house. I submitted mine over 5 weeks ago, immediately after I had got it done by my engineer, and five weeks later, I had to get a Cllr to intervene and ring on my behalf, as there was no update, but I had my solicitor on to me telling me the legal department want everything finalised by the 15th, otherwise the close would not happen until after christmas putting the onus on me as to whether I wanted this to happen before that time. Eventually got a letter to say snag had been completed, no breakdown, but that no more items would be done to my house. Of course one of my main items was my side gate broken completely off the hinges, sure they must not even have looked at it, because it is still the same, would make you think what did they do, and because of this gate open to vandalism my shed window was broken into as well.
I said it was on the original snag list and anything broken was to be fixed, so she said she would have to speak with the Clerk of Works. She rang me back and said that it would be fixed but she could not give me a date, and I said I was eager to close and this was a priority, and I wanted it sorted asap, so at this stage I just don't know what to do. Do I close and put a clause in pending outstanding items to be fixed, will they ever fix them. I know we are supposed to take these people's word, but that means nothing now in light of their inability to get the basics right. What comeback do I have if they don't fix these if I close pending these items to be repaired. At this stage I am worn out.... and this is meant to be an exciting time, it has taken the whole good out of it for me. I drove up at the weekend to look in my front window like you, as that is all we can do, there is movement up there, but you know I thought to myself it is such a shame how neglected these houses have been left get too because of the delays all the need now is for people to get into these houses as quickly as possible. I hope you both will finalise things very soon too, but do put pressure on them.

Hi Guys,

I don't know about you, but I have felt this whole process has been a complete nightmare. I know they say it will be worth it in the end, but all I can say is I have never dealt with such an unprofessional organisation. It has now got to the stage, they just want the sales closed, and have no interest in doing the snag lists, that was certainly the impression I got when speaking with them. It is a process and they above anyone should ensure that this process is fully completed correctly, and snag lists are a part of any sale in a new house. I submitted mine over 5 weeks ago, immediately after I had got it done by my engineer, and five weeks later, I had to get a Cllr to intervene and ring on my behalf, as there was no update, but I had my solicitor on to me telling me the legal department want everything finalised by the 15th, otherwise the close would not happen until after christmas putting the onus on me as to whether I wanted this to happen before that time. Eventually got a letter to say snag had been completed, no breakdown, but that no more items would be done to my house. Of course one of my main items was my side gate broken completely off the hinges, sure they must not even have looked at it, because it is still the same, would make you think what did they do, and because of this gate open to vandalism my shed window was broken into as well.
I said it was on the original snag list and anything broken was to be fixed, so she said she would have to speak with the Clerk of Works. She rang me back and said that it would be fixed but she could not give me a date, and I said I was eager to close and this was a priority, and I wanted it sorted asap, so at this stage I just don't know what to do. Do I close and put a clause in pending outstanding items to be fixed, will they ever fix them. I know we are supposed to take these people's word, but that means nothing now in light of their inability to get the basics right. What comeback do I have if they don't fix these if I close pending these items to be repaired. At this stage I am worn out.... and this is meant to be an exciting time, it has taken the whole good out of it for me. I drove up at the weekend to look in my front window like you, as that is all we can do, there is movement up there, but you know I thought to myself it is such a shame how neglected these houses have been left get too because of the delays all the need now is for people to get into these houses as quickly as possible. I hope you both will finalise things very soon too, but do put pressure on them.

hi guys, I haven't paid my deposit yet either. I rang them about it a few weeks ago and they said the deposit is paid at the end of the process. Fifitixi - I totally feel the same about dealing with the council. They haven't got a great attitude. I can't believe they didn't fix your gate etc. It doesn't sound very promising so that they will fix all the things on my list either and there were a few potentially big things. Is your engineer going back to check if the snag list has been done properly? I think my engineer said he wants to inspect the house again after everything has supposedly been done. It's hard to know what to do. I really just want to get this over with as well but I get the feeling if we sign the contracts and insert something to say the council will fix the outstanding items later, I really wouldn't hold my breath that they would be fixed anytime soon and you would probably get sick of waiting and end up getting it fixed yourself. It's very annoying as we should be sold the house in good condition. If it was on the open market we wouldn't accept anything being broken.

I also got the letter form my solicitor today about closing by the 17th.
thats 8 days, my snag isnt even done yet.
i really dont want to sign my contracts until this is done.
it would mean me signing tomorrow (which is exciting) but not really as i feel im being rushed into it.

hi guys, I haven't paid my deposit yet either. I rang them about it a few weeks ago and they said the deposit is paid at the end of the process. Fifitixi - I totally feel the same about dealing with the council. They haven't got a great attitude. I can't believe they didn't fix your gate etc. It doesn't sound very promising so that they will fix all the things on my list either and there were a few potentially big things. Is your engineer going back to check if the snag list has been done properly? I think my engineer said he wants to inspect the house again after everything has supposedly been done. It's hard to know what to do. I really just want to get this over with as well but I get the feeling if we sign the contracts and insert something to say the council will fix the outstanding items later, I really wouldn't hold my breath that they would be fixed anytime soon and you would probably get sick of waiting and end up getting it fixed yourself. It's very annoying as we should be sold the house in good condition. If it was on the open market we wouldn't accept anything being broken.

Hi Jema/Komori,

Just wondering if either of you have received any updates on your snag list or closing of sale. I still have not closed as they came back to me saying my snag list had been completed for the second time and of course it hadn't so I had to ring them again regarding my side gate not fixed, at this stage it is gone beyond a joke, my solicitor has my cheque and is eager to close and these delays are ridiculous. My snag list was submitted in October, and I am still waiting for them to finalise items after several calls. I rang them last Friday and told them I want an update this week as I said I have asked my solicitor to request contracts for closing. Hopefully this will happen in the next week or so, why is this whole process taking so long, it has taken the whole good out of it for me. A few people have moved my neighbours, sometimes I wonder, should I have done the snag list as I feel this could have been a total waste of my time and money as I would not be surprised if I will find issues once I eventually move in.

I have my keys. I pushed my engineer to do the snag and he told me there was nothing too serious so i told my solicitor to go ahead and draw down the cheque.
closed two days before christmas and i got the keys that day.
there were a few minor things on the snag i fixed myself. One major issue is the pipe coming into the kitchen which they just capped with concrete (pipe was never needed in the firstplace and i think all the houses have it). That has to be removed and seled properly. also the boiler pipework doesnt leave enough room for a washing machine to fit comfortably, so thats a pain.
I decided to sort these things out myself rather than try and negotiate with the council and delay the sale anymore. wont be that expensive to do.
My neighbour told me the builder was around and practically ignored him and when he said he'd call in he drove off.
I couldnt be bothered dealing with all that crap so thats why i went ahead and closed.

Komori thats great you have your keys! I wish I had similar good news to tell but unfortunately I still havent closed and haven't a clue when I will. I sent in my snag list and was informed they would be fixing around 3 things on the list and that was it. My engineer still has concerns about the house that cannot be ignored. If I had only small things to fix that wouldn't cost the earth then I would go ahead and close because it's unlikely they will be fixed by the builders/council. However the concerns my engineer has are not that minor and as much as I'd love to just close the sale, I have to listen to the engineer who is the expert and is doing the job I am paying him to do. I drove up last week and I'd say around half of the houses looked occupied and other people are probably decorating and haven't moved in yet. By the looks of it I will be last to move in if it ever happens. I am so stressed out by the whole thing. I thought I'd have moved in ages ago by now.

Komori thats great you have your keys! I wish I had similar good news to tell but unfortunately I still havent closed and haven't a clue when I will. I sent in my snag list and was informed they would be fixing around 3 things on the list and that was it. My engineer still has concerns about the house that cannot be ignored. If I had only small things to fix that wouldn't cost the earth then I would go ahead and close because it's unlikely they will be fixed by the builders/council. However the concerns my engineer has are not that minor and as much as I'd love to just close the sale, I have to listen to the engineer who is the expert and is doing the job I am paying him to do. I drove up last week and I'd say around half of the houses looked occupied and other people are probably decorating and haven't moved in yet. By the looks of it I will be last to move in if it ever happens. I am so stressed out by the whole thing. I thought I'd have moved in ages ago by now.

You're right to wait, i know you are dying to get in, but you have to get things right before you do. I haven't a thing done to the house yet apart from light bulbs. two holidays are getting in the way of me organising work to be done, so i wouldnt imagine ill be living there until march.

Jema I know exactly how you feel, and it does get to you, it is just not good enough, but you see they know you want to move and they will delay you until you resign and they eventually wear you out, which is what there intention is, you are right to pursue them, but after my experience I firmly believe that even when it is all signed over we will still have issues that will not have been done, my only advise in your situation now if there are major items, is to get a quote on the items that needs to be done according to your engineer then get on to your solicitor to ring them and to put it in writing, outlining that these major items are on the snag and if they are not going to be done immediately you will take this deduction from the purchase price as re-imbursement, and use your solicitor here to fight this for you. Otherwise like me you will be chasing them and as we don't receive keys till close which is a disgrace you cannot check these items are completed, so in order for this process to move i would take this option and put it back on them and put a timeline on this on when you want these items done by.
We will get there, but i can fully understand your frustration and I suppose you could overlook small items, but these houses should be sold in an acceptable condition and when you do close discuss with your solicitor about what the homebond covers, not to worry you, but just in case you or me might experience further issues. I am going into solicitor today to sign cheque and bindiing contract so i am hoping that provided my items have been done i should be in a position to close soon. Best of luck keep me updated. I'd say the grass is like the amazon at this stage.

Komori, congrats, I can understand you moved on this, and like i said above we will face items that were never touched, the issue you mentioned in the kitchen regarding the pipe, does not seem to be mentioned on my snag list, but i suppose just interested in hearing how this became an issue for you. I do have a damp patch in the kitchen, which he was concerned about, but this could be due to heating the property. I suppose we are all in the same situation, so any information is helpful. I did think whoever designed the kitchen did not factor in the need for utilities.

J Best of luck keep me updated. I'd say the grass is like the amazon at this stage.

Komori, congrats, I can understand you moved on this, and like i said above we will face items that were never touched, the issue you mentioned in the kitchen regarding the pipe, does not seem to be mentioned on my snag list, but i suppose just interested in hearing how this became an issue for you. I do have a damp patch in the kitchen, which he was concerned about, but this could be due to heating the property. I suppose we are all in the same situation, so any information is helpful. I did think whoever designed the kitchen did not factor in the need for utilities.

The back gardens are a jungle alright, but i have enough to be doing inside not to mind outside.
The pipe coming into the kitchen is easily fixed but a big issue. The builders brought it up from the sewer for no reason, it wasnt needed.. When they realised this they just capped it with concrete. That can contract and expand and eventually crack, with the result of fumes coming up and into the kitchen. It needs to be properly sealed.
I agree the kitchen layout was poor, the piping for the central heating is below the countertop and doesnt leave enough room for a washing machine or dishwasher. they would be sticking out about 4 inches. But its too late too move all the pipework and valves now. Im just going to move the unit with the drawers and put the two appliances in next to each other. Also the placement of the thermostat is where the fridge should be..
all minor things really but they were the ones my engineer pointed out.

A few residents also ripped out the fireplace, it is a bit manky and originally i hated it, but its grown on me. I was going to replace it too and had a new one picked out but am keeping it now. I have more important things to be spending a grand on.

I just got a call from the county council about houses/apartment in Maryborough Ridge/Woods. I have an interview in the morning. Has anyone else heard anything?

hi madge69 how are you?
just wondering how long you were waiting before you got a call? is it worth it
did you get a house in the end?

Back