Dublin airport carpark flooded

mummol

Dhs car got caught in floods in the airport. There is no information available on site last night and dh drove the car home rather then stand around for hours waiting for assistance.

Car is now in workshop. Little bit sick. Its a six month old car. Nothing flash but nice solid family car which we had hoped to have for a few years trouble free. Now after its bath I'm not feeling very confident of that.

No indication of how high the water went from the airport. In this technological age we are to write to a gentleman in the airport. No email or phone numbers are being made available. Where do we stand? Of course with the way airport is set up we still had to pay for the carpark . . . . A girl on helpline this morning mentioned the dreaded words . . . act of god and said its down to our own insurance. Yikes!

My car was also flooded in the long term car park. I got the impression that the DAA were taking responsibility. Bringing the car to the garage tomorrow to get check out - earliest they could do it. I was in contact with the car park manger who has sent me contact details. I will send you a PM.

Do they have proper (or any) drainage in the long term car park ?

There doesn't seem to be any drainage. It's just rough gravel on the ground. By the time I got my car back on Sunday, I just wanted to get home.

I was in the blue car park

It amazes me how someone can operate a very lucrative carpark yet plead "act of God" for flood damage which presumably could have been avoided had they invested in even a primitive drainage system.

I totally concur with last post. And rest assured won't be letting it rest. Especially since initial conversation with an insurance assessor reveals that once flood water passes the lip of the car and enters the car the car is technically a write off. He feels there is no way in knowing how the electronics will be impacted. There is also the health issue of what may or may not be in the water. We have very young kids and being the slightly ott mum I am you can guess what my reaction is.

All this in our new baby which has 7 years warranty and was the perfect daddy wagon :-(

I don't think that DAA can disclaim liability for something that is reasonably foreseeable and they should have taken appropriate action in advance.

It would be worth while in using the Data protection Act to get the CCTV footage and details of you cars location etc. They log this, I know people who have lost their car and were told its exact location from it's plate number. It you leave it too long they may have wiped the data.

Towger.

I've just had an extremely aggressive and rude call from the person we were told would handle our issues. I now feel that his name being given was just to placate people on site and to move them away. His mantra was that this is an act of god and down to our own insurance. When I refused to accept this and said that we'd get our solicitor on side, his closing reply was see you in court with the snidest laugh. I'm not sure what AAM stance is on language but what an a**hole. When I asked did they not accept any responsibility in terms of moving the car . . . we were only trying to help.

I've just had an extremely aggressive and rude call from the person we were told would handle our issues. I now feel that his name being given was just to placate people on site and to move them away. His mantra was that this is an act of god and down to our own insurance. When I refused to accept this and said that we'd get our solicitor on side, his closing reply was see you in court with the snidest laugh.

In that case, go straight to your solicitor. And the very, very best of luck to you!

Any decent solicitor will pick holes in their arguments. Also any sign cannot disclaim liability for acts of negligence by DAA. They should have had drainage, the car park flooded, they are liable.

I have had the same experience as mummol today. On Sunday when I left the car park I was told that no problem we will take care of it. Today they say no way - they only rent a space no responsibilty for the car. Won't even give me the cost of the parking back. I am so angry as on Sunday I took them at their word, didn't get anything in writing.

Tara,

I am not letting this rest! I have emailed him back. Told him I was dissappointed by the reaction and aggressive tone. Mentioned that the land they use for carparking is obviously not suited. I don't think the act of god can really be applied to rain in Ireland. Hell its hardly that rare. I feel that his attitude and rudeness was an attempt to stop me pushing the matter forward.

I asked for a reply in writing by close of business today otherwise the issue will be pushed forward on a legal basis.

I am interested in hearing from other people who have had similar experiences and seeing if we could push this forward as a group.

I have contacted my solicitor to see where I stand on a legal basis and intend on taking it from there. It may be the case I can just go through my insurance - hopefully will know more later. They were around 40 cars flooded so there should be a few more in the same predicament.

It may be the case I can just go through my insurance.
What is what DAA would want you to do. Insurance pays you for repairs or a new car. Insurance company doesn't fight DAA (too tough a job) and you loose your NCB.

I think not. See what a solicitor says.

Someone out there may help me on this - my car was in quickpark & same scenario - flooded. I cant even get my calls returned - my car is only 6 months old yet - Insurance company are a nightmare: they now want the entire upholstery repalaced seats & all. The insurance are insisting I can only get it repaired in their approved garages but I want it done in an Opel garage. having read further up technically its a write off( it came up over the back seats) I really dont know where to even start on this - help Please !!!

I'm not a solicitor so this post may be complete rubbish. But I seem to recall reading of a previous case years ago, where damage was caused to a person's car in a car-park. If I recall correctly, the ruling was that the signs that say "We accept no responsibility for damage to your car" are of little validity in a car-park which you pay to use. I think the gist of it was that if an operator is prepared to charge you money for parking your car, in doing so they are assuming some responsibility for it. I think the responsibility of car park owners where the car park is free is less.

LD ferguson what you are saying is correct but they are standing by the fact that this is an act of god and that level of heavy rainfall was completely out of character with Irish climate. Obviously nothing to do with the way the drainage has been changed to handle run off water from run way then. Apparently this is what is causing major problems on M1 and m50 and possibly their carparks.

I am not giving up on this and have yet to decide if we go our insurance company or solicitor. We have NCB protection so no real impact cost wise but I'm still extremely angry over shoddy carry on by DAA.

Jenz I will pm you what my garage said. The gist of what is you do not know what is in the water either in terms of chemicals which may have a future corrosive affect on your car or in terms of health issue. Also our car was 6 months old and I told our insurance company I am not happy to contemplate a repair job. I want a car that will have no future issues due to this flooding and IS covered by warranty. All issues you need to establish from Opel Ireland or your garage prior to allowing them to just repair.

Back