Mortgage protection insurance medical (diabetic)

bigchicken

Hi,

I have been told that its 99.9% likely I will have to do a medical for my mortgage protection insurance as I am diabetic. I was just wondering if anyone has any info about whats involved in the actual medical?

Thanks.

Re: Mortgage protection insurance medical

Insurance medicals are fairly standard. Exactly what you'd expect.

I'm not sure what if anything extra would be required for a diabetic however.

For what it's worth I did a medical for my employer's PHI scheme and it involved a fairly detailed physical examination although no blood test.

By fairly detailed I presume you mean more than just checking weight, blood pressure, heart rate etc. What other stuff was involved?

All that plus a physical/hands on examination (stop sniggering down the back please!). And a urine test (not a drug test!). Medical history was also reviewed having been submitted (with authorisation) by my GP.

HI bigchicken

You will have to disclose your diabetes and so your premium will be higher.

But if the premium is too high, you can opt not to have mortgage protection.

If you don't have dependents, you should not have life insurance or mortgage protection

Brendan

But if the premium is too high, you can opt not to have mortgage protection.
If the lender agrees as far as I know. Under the Consumer Credit Act lenders are allowed to waive the normally mandatory requirement for owner occupier mortgage protection life assurance but I don't think that they are obliged to.
If you don't have dependents, you should not have life insurance or mortgage protection
It's not necessarily at the borrower's discretion. For owner occupiers the CCA makes it mandatory to have MPLA in most cases.

Thanks for all the info.

Brendan, I have already declared my diabetes and i just found out this morning that i will definately have to do the medical. My diabetes is well controlled so i'm hoping that the loading won't be so high that I can't afford the premium.

My lender requires that i have mortgage protection, I thought all lenders did??!

Clubman thanks for the info, sounds like the medical will be interesting :)

is this mortgage on your home or an investment?

Dont want to disappoint you or anything but a friend of mine applied to 4 different companies and there was a variance of 28% in cheapest and dearest quotes when underwriting was completed. Dont know which was cheapest.

Thanks for the info. I have applied to two companies so far. The problem with applying to multiple companies is that I have to do a medical for each one which is a complete pain! Harvey, is there any chance you could ask your friend who was cheapest?

Does anyone know if its possible to ask for details of the loading? I would like to know the reasoning behind the loading they apply to me once it is decided, particularly if I get different quotes from different companies. Also, is it possible/easy to get a copy of the medical report submitted by the independent doctor to the insurance company?

Just thought i'd update in case anyone else was interested.
Had my medical today - very straightforward.
They just checked height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate. Took a full history and checked urine for sugar. Waste of time really.

Just thought i'd update in case anyone else was interested.
Had my medical today - very straightforward.
They just checked height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate. Took a full history and checked urine for sugar. Waste of time really.

Did you apply elsewhere in the end ?

Hi Big Chicken,

has been dealing with the question of insurance (travel, motor and life) for people with diabetes for many years now.

aj

I am in the process of getting quotes from two companies so i'll see what what they come up with. If they differ wildly i'll apply to more.

Ajapale - i did contact the diabetes federation who advised that i talk to ERM financials who are a broker. I did that and one of the companies i applied to is through them. They didn't seem to interested in getting me multiple quotes so i went directly to the other company myself.

Back