Other Insurance co want money back

The OP is really pandering to the insurance company by his soft approach by phone. Everything should be in writing. He really needs a written final response. They will avoid issuing one for as long as they can if the OP does not press them.

Time, im waiting for them to come back to me as the blame is totally in their court. When they get back to me with a decision then i Will decide whether to contact financial ombudsman, pay them a figure or take it further with a solicitor. Thx for the replies guys as all the advice is highly appreciated

i spoke to my solicitor yesterday and explained everything plus showed him all my original documents. he informed me to stand my ground as in his professional opinion its totally their fault as it took them over 8months to realise their mistake. he also stated that if it was to go to court there wuld be alot of red faces on their behalf so he just informed me to get back to him if they try and go legal.....

Obviously it's your choice but bear in mind that your solicitor will want to be paid for his work, while the Financial Services Ombudsman does not charge consumers.

Obviously it's your choice but bear in mind that your solicitor will want to bepaid for his work, while the Financial Services Ombudsman does not charge consumers.

LD thanks for the reply. i just happened to be with my solicitor for another reason and just ran this past him briefly. i will go through the FSO and let them make a final decision on this mess.

thanks again

I hadn't seen this until now.

You took out insurance for loss of earnings.
You did not lose any earnings.
You made a claim in error.
They paid you in error.
You received €10,000 which you should not have received.
You should pay it back.

People and companies make mistakes all the time. People should not benefit from mistakes.

The next question is whether you should have been sold this policy in the first place. If you were sold a policy on which you could never have claimed because your employer gives you sick pay, then you should get those premiums back.

Brendan

I hadn't seen this until now.

You took out insurance for loss of earnings.
You did not lose any earnings.
You made a claim in error.
They paid you in error.
You received €10,000 which you should not have received.
You should pay it back.

People and companies make mistakes all the time. People should not benefit from mistakes.

The next question is whether you should have been sold this policy in the first place. If you were sold a policy on which you could never have claimed because your employer gives you sick pay, then you should get those premiums back.

Brendan

Brendan, i did not make a claim in error. i was told from day 1 day as per their agent that i could recieve sick pay and full payment from this policy if i was injured in my job. when i made the claim i clearly outlined that i was recieving sick pay and i have a copy of the original claim form.

also, this claim was paid over a period of 8months. after this period they told me i was not entitled to the premium as per their T&Cs. fair enough but 8months is a long time to get payment and also before they paid any sums their assesors would asses the claim in its entireity and they never once brought up the issue. they clearly have made a mssive error and as a person who clearly outlined everything honestly from day 1 i am not holding myself liable for their messup

whats your opinion?

To all who have been following this post...i recieved a letter from the insurance co and they state that they will not look for any money back as i was totally in the write. thank god its over but i had everything copied from day 1 and my evidence was immense.

Back