Dead rat smell in attic

setanta78

I think I have a dead rodent in my attic. There is definately something dead up there and when I went to investigate I found plenty of large droppings. The smell is pretty foul and seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately I am not really in a position to be able to afford getting rent-o-kill or someone like that in to solve my problem. Does anybody here have any suggestions?

Put gloves on ,mask maybe and get up there and locate it,scoop/lift it into a bag and put it in a bin.. tidy the attic as best you can and put down poison.. wash your hands when you have it all done..
job done...... not nice but has to be done..

I would not worry too much about the smell, while unpleasent, it will go away after a short while. If memory serves me right, about 10 days. We have had a recurrent problem with dead rats a couple of years ago in our Dublin offices. One particular rat was is a place that we could not reach, the controllers told us that the sell would go by a specific time, and he was right - to the day.

kiwi, you are dead right. setanta stop looking for wonder cures on this site and throw the rat in the bin

tidy the attic as best you can and put down poison

Please dont put down poison! It will kill the rats and you will be left with a few stinking, decaying bodies hidden somewhere in your attic or cavity walls. Set traps intead. You need to kill the rats AND get rid of the bodies.

Also walk around the outside of the house and find yout how the rats are getting in. I suspect there is a hole at ground level allowing them to access the cavity wall.

Please dont put down poison! It will kill the rats and you will be left with a few stinking, decaying bodies hidden somewhere in your attic or cavity walls. Set traps intead. You need to kill the rats AND get rid of the bodies.

Also walk around the outside of the house and find yout how the rats are getting in. I suspect there is a hole at ground level allowing them to access the cavity wall.

Put down the poison, BUT, make sure they have no access to your water tank. The poison makes them very thirsty, and they will leave the house in search of water, and hopefully die outside.

Flies can be pretty awful if they take hold. We had a dead rat that got infested with flies. Hundreds of these really dopey flies flying around the room. We had to vacuum them up.
A truly haunting experience.

Put down the poison, BUT, make sure they have no access to your water tank. The poison makes them very thirsty, and they will leave the house in search of water, and hopefully die outside.

Fair point - I still dread the thought of one dying up there. Rat eats poison, goes to get a drink of water and manges to get back into the house before dying. A simple rat trap will cost no more than 5 euro.

There is only so much "rat" to decay.

They are not large mammals.

The size of the droppings is a bit worrying - never seen "large" rat droppings...

<cue spooky music>

ONQ.

Back