driving test

johnd

My daughter applied for a provisional licence last year but has now only bought a car and I am teaching her to drive at weekends. Problem is she got a letter recently telling her to apply for her driving test which she did and it it now due to take place end of April! I know we should be delighted but she not ready to take a test. She did phone and ask if it could be put back till end of june but was told end of May is the latest and they are booked up then.

I know that if she fails she can resit but I honestly don't think she should even do the test, from a safety point of view.

Any help appreciated.

If you/ daughter can afford it, get as many professonal lessons as possible between now and test.

Thanks DavyJones,

She is taking lessons with a driving school during the week but I cannot see her having enough experience to pass. If she cancels the test twice she is deemed to have failed and will gave to pay again and obviously sit it again. I'm sure for people ready for thier test its terrific that the waiting time has come down so low but for her its not good news.

Thanks for your reply

Have some faith in your daughters ability. If she gets enough lessons she will pass. If the lessons are from a good instructor. This makes a huge difference. Also bring her out driving every evening yourself. Or get another full licence driver to.

If nothing else she'll gain experience of the process of the driving test which will help her when she is actually ready to do the test.

worst case for your daughter is, she fails, but the experiance will make her a better driver and she will have nothing to fear second time around. I also agree with television, fill her with confidence along with as much driving as possible.

Will do as you suggested. I'll take her out at night and with lessons from driving instructor hopefully she will pass. Thanks again.

Absolutely go for it. Get her to rope in anyone she knows with a full licence to bring her out so she can get as much experience as possible. I had just 2 weeks notice of my test & had only driven occassionally before that. Got loads of lessons & had everyone I knew going out with me whenever possible....passed first time.
One big benefit is that she won't have developed bad habits, so just work on her confidence.

I was under the impression you are entitled to reschedule the test 3 times.

Test dates are only open for 6 weeks in advance. You could reschedule it to May. Then, closer to the date in May - reschedule again (new dates will be available then).

The tests are a great motivation to get people out driving - personally I wasnt motivated until my last cancellation. I went out most evenings for 6 weeks and passed.

In terms of the actual test, they are not looking for expert drivers - just safe drivers with good observation. With plenty of lessons, there is no reason your daughter can't pass in April.

At the least she'll get the experience of the test. Get her loads of lessons... with a competent good teacher, word of mouth is the best, tell him/her when your test is due. And drive, drive, drive, drive.

Also get her to have lessons around the test centre so she gets familiar with the local roads she'll be driving on during the test.

Oh and cross your fingers!!!!!!

If she has just got her first provisional/learners permit, then AFAIK, she cannot do her test until she has held the licence for 6 months.

A son of mine got his first provisional licence in Dec 07 and sat the test in March 08. So a six months rule did not apply. He did not pass by the way mainly with observation problems at right and left turns, but he was happy with the test overall.

A son of mine got his first provisional licence in Dec 07 and sat the test in March 08.

He was obviously lucky to have been allowed to take the test. I know someone who turned up for a test, but the tester would not take him as he only had the licence 3 months. when he looked into it he found the details on the website, which backed up the testers claim. If he has re-applied for his test, if he gets called before June, he probably will not be allowed to take it.

Back