solictor- family home declaration

nuttybud

Can anyone recommend an independent solictor to draw up a family home declaration in Dublin?

Im buying through SO and the councils solictors are dealing with the purchase side so this is all I need a solictor to do.

Ive rang 3 companies today (talking to receptionists) but they say they only do a package & my own solictor should do this for me:rolleyes:
I didnt realise it would so difficult to get this done.

Also does anyone have an idea of the aprx cost or what would be reasonable?

I wouldn't recommend the solicitor who I got to do mine as he tried to charge me €300!!!!

I can advise that it should only cost €10(the cost of the solicitor's signature) - it's basically just the solicitor witnessing you signing a document to say that you're not married/ engaged to be married (am sure it's a different version of the same thing if you are married). Maybe try explaining this to the next receptionist you ring?

The solicitor I used made the biggest hoohaa out of the whole thing. I went absolutely mental when he emailed me and told me it would cost €300. Long story short we agreed upon the revised price of €10!

hi guys
im going through SO as well and need a Family Home Declaration, too. I'll get it done through my solicitor in Coolock (Ferrys). The receptionist yesterday told me it would cost me € 80,00 which I find quite costly as well. So I bare that in mind with the € 10,00 when I go today. How long did it take you (previous poster) to get it done? The 1st receptionist told me, a few days and the one yesterday "a while" :(

Hi Alaskaonline

Im glad someone else is in the same boat- its so confusing.
Can I ask if this is all your solicitor is doing for you?
Did you make a will?

Do you have a final date yet? I got my pack from council solictors with all the draft documents but Im still waiting on a phcall to confirm a closing date?

hi guys
im going through SO as well and need a Family Home Declaration, too. I'll get it done through my solicitor in Coolock (Ferrys). The receptionist yesterday told me it would cost me € 80,00 which I find quite costly as well. So I bare that in mind with the € 10,00 when I go today. How long did it take you (previous poster) to get it done? The 1st receptionist told me, a few days and the one yesterday "a while" :(

I know exactly how you're feeling- was through it myself! They should do it there and then, it's really simply a matter of them printing it up and then you signing it in front of them. The rip off solicitor guy told me it would take weeks, rubbish. The only piece of information you need is your folio number, you get that off your own solicitor. I actually had a friend email me a copy of one which I gave to all other friends who did shared ownership and that way there was no disputing the cost/ how difficult they are to do.

Hi Alaskaonline

Im glad someone else is in the same boat- its so confusing.
Can I ask if this is all your solicitor is doing for you?
Did you make a will?

Do you have a final date yet? I got my pack from council solictors with all the draft documents but Im still waiting on a phcall to confirm a closing date?

heya, now went to the solicitor yesterday and was told that she sends a copy first to the council's law dept. (as I am also going through Aff.Housing) to get the ok back from them that the form is up to the most recent "standards", then she will call me back and I can collect the original form which I have to bring along on the closing day of my house and sign it then and there. I was told that if you're going through Aff. Housing & Shared Ownership you do not sign the form at the solicitors office but only on the closing day.

I used the same solicitor for my will last year, yes :) and the family dec.form is all my solicitor is doing as I paid the legal fees to the council for all other legal matters. I haven't got a final date yet. The girl yesterday said it depends on how quickly DCC gets back to her with the ok. The closing date as such isn't confirmed either. DCC hopes it will be mid July....depending on ESB connections etc.

Folks,
just to clear up some misconceptions:

1. If you have to get a "Family Home" declaration witnessed, a practicing solicitor can do this and the fee is a statutory fee of €10 per person.

2. The document would usually be drawn up by your own solicitor; Your own solicitor is not allowed witness the document.

3. Solicitors don't open files for merely witnessing declarations, but if a document is drafted\prepared by a solicitor, the solicitor would generally have to open a file and keep a copy of the document, together with a memo\attendance on the prepararation of the document.

The basic problem here is that many people buying under Shared Ownership do not in fact have any solicitor - so they end up asking the solicitor who is to witness the declaration to also draw it up. I would refuse to do so, and so I suspect would many solicitors.

Thanks MOB thats exactly what I found out yesterday!

I went to get it done y'day. He was most annoyed he had to draw it up & that I didnt say that on the phone, in fact I thought it was just a std document and he just had to print & sign. He charged me €80

It took max 10mins. Its just printed on plain A4 paper & we both signed it and he gave it to me. I assume this is the draft that I have to send to the council but do I have to go back & get it on headed paper and re-signed on the date that I am closing?
Will he charge me for this also?

This is turning out to be so much hassle :(

Its just printed on plain A4 paper & we both signed it and he gave it to me. I assume this is the draft that I have to send to the council

I am quite confused now. :confused: I am going with the S.O. and the legal dept. of DCC explicity stated that the document should not be signed until the day of closing when you sign all the other documents, too. Is that only with S.O. the case?

If someone might suggest a solicitor for me too. I'm buying through Shared Ownership too and I don't have a solicitor but need to get a family home declaration arranged and signed. I did go to one solicitor and they said it would cost €100.00 plus VAT @21% (€121.00).
How come I'm hearing some people getting it done for €20.00 ?? Help please! :(

Back