Temporary Credit Card Needed

DAVID MAC

hi There,im Heading Over To Chicago In July And Im Needing To Rent A Car Over There For A Week,now As With All Car Rental Companys They Demand A Credit Card At Pickup As A Security Deposit Or Debit Card,sadly I Dont Have A Credit Card,and Been A Carer At Present,my Income Is Not Near Enough To Qualify For A Credit Card.
Im With Aib,and Have Internet Banking,my Maestro Card Sadly Is Not Accepted As They Demand It Has The Visa Or Mastercard Logo,they Wont Accept Cash Rentals,
If I Was To Ring The Aib Credit Card Centre And Explain That I Need A Credit Card Just For This Occasion With A Low Credit Limit,and Promise To Cancel It After This Week,would I Be Accepted.
Ive Never Had A Credit Card Before,and Have An Income Going Directly Into My Account Weekly,what Should I Do.
Appreciate Your Help,thanks

hi Yes Ive Tried Them,but The Rental Companys Demand A Major Credit Card At Pickup,as A Security Deposit In Case Something Happens,like A Crash Or Theft,they Keep The Card And Put A Hold On It,and Return It To You When You Return The Car.they Only Accept Cash,or Prepaid Cards When You Pay At The End Of The Rental

Surely in this day and age it cant be that hard to get a credit card??! Banks even give them on student accounts these days and keep the limit below a grand!

You might have to ring/write ahead to clarify as the rules may differ for tourists but something like this [broken link removed] [broken link removed]

There was a recent thread where one poster was recommending someone in similar circumstances enrol in a full time college course they had no intention of taking, then open a student account with credit card, then cancel the enrolment. Not a great idea, but...

Try shopping around , some companies will give you a car on a cash deposit (usually about $250) plus the cost of a tank of petrol if you take out their insurance.

Could you not just obtain a credit card from AIB and cancel it when you return from holidays and have paid off the charge? I wouldn't tell them you intend to do that, just do it. (If you think about it, they are more interested in you retaining a credit card long term). There is nothing which says you must have a credit card for a period of time. Have you tried applying for one?

oh and turn off Caps Lock when you are typing a post, it makes them quite difficult to read (and it makes you seem like you are shouting :))

How long would i know if my credit card application has been approved if i applied through my internet banking?

Dam Them Anyway,got Turned Down As I Fully Expected,and I Only Need It For One Week,why Is It So Dam Hard To Get A Credit Card?

Halifax offer a Visa Debit card with their current account. I believe this can be used wherever Visa credit cards are accepted. As it's on your current account it should be easier to get, as you just need to meet the Halifax Ireland current account requirements. Most branches are open Saturday mornings if you want to pop in and open a current account (remember to bring ID such as passport and two proofs of address, and possibly proof of PPS number.). If you do get the card you might want to clarify what transaction limits apply to card usage. Also be careful with the card details, as the normal fraud protections on credit cards may not apply to Visa Debit.

[broken link removed] offer a physical prepay MasterCard. I hear they will accept Irish applications, though the account is probably denominated in Sterling.

There is also who offer a virtual MasterCard denominated in Euro and appear to be much better value than 3V. There is talk of an tied to your Wirecard account, so this might also be an option (assuming Irish stamp duty charges don't prevent this).
Q: What is the classic MasterCard?
A: On request you will receive a standard plastic prepaid MasterCard, linked to your Wirecard account.

hi Is The Easykard A Prepaid Credit Card?if So That Wont Work With The Car Renting Companys,and If I Opened An Account With Halifax That Could Take Ages,i Cant Understand Aib Not Having A Debit Card That Can Be Used Worldwide Like Halifax Have,the Maestro Card Is Useless.

If you go into a Halifax branch this week with correct ID documentation and open a current account, I expect you'd have the Visa Debit card next week.

As for prepaid cards, if you present a physical card to the car rental company it's pretty hard for them to determine that it's prepaid. You might have to lodge extra money to the card to prevent it failing any pre-auths, but that should cover it.

How are you paying for flights and hotel without a card? Is there a friend / relative that could request a card in your name but drawn on their existing credit card account? Most banks are more than happy to do this and would issue in a few days, with no credit checks required (your friend would be responsible for the card bill, so you would have to settle up with them).

my Brother Used His Credit Card To Book My Flights And Hotels,and I Paid Him The Cash,well The Car Rental Companys State They Wont Accept Prepaid Cards At The Time Of Pickup But Would Accept Them As Payment Of The Rent At The End When The Car Is Returned,so I Dont Know,i Have A 3v Prepaid Credit Card But I Dont Know.

Is there a friend / relative that could request a card in your name but drawn on their existing credit card account?
Excellent idea MugsGame, I never thought of that.. David, that might be your quickest and easiest way of getting a credit card sorted for the hols. Sorry to hear that AIB turned you down. Did you ask them for a reason why?

Back