Problems with using Maestro card in North

bsj

Anyone else have problems using Maestro card in the North? I have an Ulster Bank Maestro/Laser card, tried twice in Tesco and Sainsburys in Lisburn and was asked for an alternative method of payment (not due to lack of funds!), card worked in the Gap outlet in Banbridge. I specifically got a maestro card as I am regularly up north and don't like bringing sterling home and don't want to use my credit card. Just wondering if its just me!
Thanks for any replies.

Yes, according to the bank the transactions didn't even go as far as asking for authorisation. I'm just of the phone to the bank and they're explalnation is that Maestro in the Uk used to be Switch, and that some retaliers haven't yet upgraded their systems to Maestro and its not a problem with my card, sounds like a bit of a story to me!

Hi Bsj

I had problems using my maestro card in the north, the UK and in certain shops in Ireland, wallis was one of the shops here in ireland.

Its very frustrating, these things are meant to make life easier, looks like the irish maestro card isn't as widely accepted as the banks make out! It does work 99.9% of the time in RoI, but there have been one or two incidences, and it is very embarrassing, regardless of the reason for the card not working.. My card was refused one day in Tesco in Dublin, i phoned the bank who said there was no reason for this happening, plenty of funds, shouldn't have been a problem. I took the same card to the cash machine and withdrew the cash to pay for my shopping. Tesco said it was some security issue. I now get a knot in my stomach every time I need to use my Laser/Maestro card!

Your bank is actually completely correct. The problem is at the UK end!

Basically in the UK Switch was their national debit card scheme and operated much like Laser, a closed network.

Maestro is normally an international debit card, and many European debit cards carry the Maestro logo and should be acceptable over-the-counter without any problems.

However, in the UK, Switch was fully rebranded as Maestro. However, the transactions are still processed by the old Switch network. It's causing a lot of confusion and it's really stupid on the part of Maestro.

It means that some UK retailers can't accept non UK issued Maestro cards at all and that online sites can only accept UK issued cards (as they don't really accept Maestro at all, but rather re-branded switch!)

Tesco's terminals regularly seem to screw up. I've had them refuse perfectly valid credit cards, debit cards etc. It's usually nothing more than a dirty chip and pin reader that's the problem. Those machines, particularly in a supermarket, take a lot of abuse.

If your card's also a Laser card, there's absolutely no reason why Wallis in the Republic of Ireland shouldn't accept it. Contact your bank. It sounds like there's either a problem with your card, or with the Wallis terminals.

It's nothing to do with it being a Maestro.

Thanks for that ! So that expalins why the Maestro card works in the Gap Outlet in Banbridge, as its new but Tesco and Sainsburys in UK haven't upgraded from the old switch system yet. Tha Halifax visa debit card is starting to look more attractive every day!

It's quite possibly the case. The shops may also opt not to accept international Maestro cards as there is possibly a % fee levied on transactions by Maestro/Mastercard that is not charged on UK cards. Same goes for Laser, they're quite cheap to accept from a merchant's point of view.

Pity didn't read these postings earlier. Went to UK to purchase car. Had lodged all my funds to Laser/Maestro card which my bank had supplied me with for this sole purpose. Needless to say it wouldn't work when the sale had been agreed. English retailer even tried to recalibrate their machines while I was there as he was sick of this happening-all to no avail. Will be having a very interesting discussion with my bank due to costs incurred (flight, overnight in London etc) as they guaranteed me it would work and all calls are recorded for quality etc, right?? Not impressed!!

It's actually not the Irish banks' fault. It's Maestro in the UK misusing the Maestro branding! Those machines really shouldn't be branded with Maestro if they can't process non-UK issued cards. It's extremely misleading and annoying.

Switch was basically rebranded Maestro without any technical changes!!

Back