Banking 365 (BOI) Down

Its definitely a technical issue only. The Irish Times link has as much detail as is available at the moment. ATMs allow withdrawals up to an approved limit even when offline.

I would not be surprised if there was a run on Bank of Ireland and they downed systems to prevent too much cash from being withdrawn.

I agree that this does seem to be a particularly long outage but that's all it is - an outage. BOI seem to have one of these each December.

Tiberius - how do you know? I rang my branch and I got the standard "assurance" from the girl, however I just do not believe her, and what has been documented in the irish times article.

I was not worried at all this am as I thought, sure, this is a technical issue. The longer this is going on the more concerned I am that it isn't a technical issue.

Tiberius - how do you know? I rang my branch and I got the standard "assurance" from the girl, however I just do not believe her, and what has been documented in the irish times article.

The official in the branch probably knows as much about the problem as has been reported in the newspaper !

The official in the branch probably knows as much about the problem as has been reported in the newspaper !

I know! And thats also worrying me! The last update she got was around lunch time.... Please tell me I'm being irrational! After everything that has gone on, I do not believe a word the girl says!
P!

Fron their web site

[SIZE=+1]IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Bank of Ireland confirms that an unforeseen technical issue has impacted some of our operating systems this morning and our telephone and online banking services are currently unavailable. However, all branches are open and operating as normal but with a temporary restricted cash service. All ATMs are operating normally but with a restricted cash service for Bank of Ireland cardholders. Some customers may be unable to conduct point-of-sale transactions but Bank of Ireland credit card transactions are unaffected. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience they are experiencing and wish to assure them that we are working with our IT partners to ensure that all services are reinstated as a priority. [/SIZE]

big probelm the site is down Been onto bank a few times aparently some tech problem with mainframe???. Affects personal and business users.

You're being irrational.

I wonder have they tried switching it off and switching it on again ?

OK, maybe I am way too cynical here, I do not believe this is as a result of a “Technical Issue”, I would not be surprised if there was a run on Bank of Ireland and they downed systems to prevent too much cash from being withdrawn. I work in IT and for the system to be down this long – is not good at all.. HP as the SI’s have not come out and reported the fault.

Pinky, I take it you have never done any work for BOI. In recent years, well basically since they P45'ed their IT staff.... Well you get the idea...

Or, as one member of staff put it to me, 'It is creaking at the seams and it is only a matter if time'. Now that was a few years ago, so they did well to get this far.

From memory, it is normally AIB who manage to crash the mainframes around Chirstmass, or more specificly one year they stopped communicating with the outside world, which amounts to much the same thing.

Pinky, I take it you have never done any work for BOI. In recent years, well basically since they P45'ed their IT staff.... Well you get the idea...

Or, as one member of staff put it to me, 'It is creaking at the seams and it is only a matter if time'. Now that was a few years ago, so they did well to get this far.

From memory, it is normally AIB who manage to crash the mainframes around Chirstmass, or more specificly one year they stopped communicating with the outside world, which amounts to much the same thing.

I work in IT for another bank. Ever since BOI outsourced their IT to (first BT) and then HP there have been nothing but problems.
Couldn't happen at a worse time.

There was always a fear within the Banking IT Industry that outsourcing would spread across the whole sector. However, BOIs problems over the last few years means that this will probably never happen.

I work in IT for another bank. Ever since BOI outsourced their IT to (first BT) and then HP there have been nothing but problems.

BOI have outsourced their IT infrastructure support. Other IT functions remain in-house.

The first venture was a joint venture with Perot. When that didn't last it was briefly brought back in-house before being fully outsourced to HP; telephony & data comms to BT. Next year, IBM will take over the contract from HP.

'Nothing but problems' is a subjective view. It suggests all was OK with IT infrastructure support when it was in-house.

365online is back now. I was able to conduct Laser txn and withdraw cash from the ATM in the meantime in any event.

Back