Tiling - how much?

wbp is ply wood. water and boil proof. its a stepdown from marine grade ply but is the industry standard for homes. i should point out that some adhesive companies won't cover their products on wbp. i would recomend either green slabs or concrete boards. both are expensive but its etter to pay the money now for the proper stuff rather than in 2 years pay out evenmore money for a big repair. also get a tanking system to avoid water damage to walls.

as for the cost of doing that job for labour only you should expect to pay around €500. i would usually include the cost of green slabs in that price. it would take 2 days to do because the tanking system need to set befors it can be tiled. some tilers won't do the whole job but i rather do all the work myself,that way i can stand over the work fully.

@ callaghanj, i usually try to match the floor with the counter top. if you had a sample of the kitchen it might be best to take it into some tile shops and see if there's anything to match it.

@beans,for 12 yards assuming its ceramic on a concrete floor the labour cost would be around €200 and for adhesive and grout €150 will cover that. it will take 3 bags of adhesive and 1 bag of grout. i don't think your being ripped off anyway. you migh be able to push for maybe €20 off the price.

I have porclean tiles to put down across two smallish bathroom, combined about 9 sq yrds, there is a toilet and sink in each. I have all materials except the wooden to lay on the original floor boards to support. Was qouted E350, this seems excessive after reading the above thread. Is it? Thanks, Bear

I got my kitchen tiled a few weeks ago by a guy who was highly recommended on this site. We got ceramic tiles put over old tiles...about 15 sq yards in all, incl. having to put a second layer where the old cabinets were and were charged €600.

To be honest I agreed to the price because he was highly recommended, and because he said it would be a 2-day job. In fact, he started at 8.30 in the morning and was finished by 3pm.

It's a good job but not perfect, so I'd say get a few recommendations and try to go and see some work the tiler has previously done. It'll stop you having that feeling of being had in the back of your mind!

2 bathroomfloors are actually way slower than a 15 yd kitchen floor. 350 is pretty okay if you know he is good. 600 for kitchen floor was a total ripoff, at max 300

Thanks for the reply. I have another query now. I spoke to a chap today who said the toilet and sink pedastil should be lifted out and the tiles installed under it. The 350 quote I got does not include this additional work. But it this really necessary? The chap basically said if someone says they can tile around the base of sink/toilet, then dont hire them!

what is on the floor at moment, unless totally impractical to do so we always take them out and refit.

I know this post is old but does anyone know of a good and cheap tiler in around Limerick?

Thank you

Back