Repairing scratches on wooden floors

sartay

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how to repair scratches on wooden floors? We had decorators in doing some wallpapering and they set up their pasting table onto our semi-solid wood floor, leaving some fairly nasty long and deep scratches. We only just had it laid not long before so we're a bit disappointed!! Any tips on DIY repairs or companies that do professional restoration? Thanks a mill!

the decorators should do the repair work, but that is probably another issue. most hardware shops and certainly any of the wood suppliers sell a special kit for wood repairs. how effective they will be will really depend on the depth of the scratches.

It depends on how deep the scratches are but the firs tthing to do with small scratchs is fill them in with a wax crayon in the correct colour. This can hide a lot of scratches, and also stops the scratch filling with darker coloured dirt, which makes the scratch much more obvious. Regardless of anything else, I would do this quickly.

Apart from that, I dont know of any other possible repair other than a sand and varnish.

I would be complaining to the decorators to pay for the damage repair.

Thanks for the info!

The decorators are actually friends of the family and are really sound. I think they'd be mortified if they realised what they'd done - they have done work for us and other members of the family before and are normally extremely tidy and have great workmanship. So I'm not going to make a fuss with them, just want to get on and repair it. Thanks for the tips.

Back