Maestro debit card - can't be used for international internet transactions.

Problems with UK Maestro and Aer Arran

Hi I've been getting problems trying to book a flight online using a UK Maestro card. I'm flying into Dublin tomorrow from Edinburgh, and I am on route down to Sligo. I could get the bus but that takes over 4 hours and plus I couldn't use UK Maestro to buy ticket online for that. The same with Iarnrod Eireann( 3 hours 5 mins), in fact its a bloody annoying website that leaves you just confused.
Aer Arran, now this perplexs me, I can use Ryan Air now with Maestro card but not Aer Arran. Wait a minute, Aer Arran says it accepts International Maestro card. Nooope! it dosen't work, will this be one of the few sites then that uses only Irish Maestro card. A bloody pain, as the Dublin to Sligo flight only takes three quarters of an hour.

so whats the latest on debit/laser cards? have boi nib or aib launched visa/mastercard debit cards that can be used freely abroad for purchases and withdrawals, or are they sticking with the limp laser? anyone/many people using the halifax visa debit card, whats the verdict?

I recently joined National Irish bank and received laser/maestro card
my card has a security code at the back unlike my permanent TSB & AIB laser/maestro cards.
My new card now works on international websites!!
i am now going to get rid of my other 2 laser cards as they are useless for foreign websites

it may be off point but Permanent TSB have a product called 3V visa. Basically it is like a laser card as you can't use it unless you have funds on the card. You can put up to 350 on the card and they forward you by text your visa number and then you can use it anywhere where they asked for visa no. I used it for Ryanair to book flights because I don't have a credit card. You can apply for a 3v at www.3v.ie and you don't need to show bank details or anything they give it to anyone. it is handy for international sites that don't accept laser. Just another option. It is not a credit card and you top up the card at your local post office or some shops.

3v is a waste of time. Charges are very high. Many shops will not touch them anymore.

is a much better option.

More banks should just issue Visa Debit, even if its only as an option for people who request it.
This lock-in to Laser seems a bit like a cartel to me.. i.e. the banks operate Laser and won't provide any alternatives and no doubt, Halifax issued Visa debit as the 'club' must have made issuing Laser difficult.

I think this really needs to be shaken up!

I suspect An Post's new current account will also have Visa Debit, as it won't get access to Laser.

My cousin works for customer service in Permanent TSB, she told me that some time during 2008 that TSB will launch Visa Debit cards but she doesnt know the date yet and apparently its been kept very hush hush in the bank as most staff members.
The same goes for NIB, one of the bank clerks in my local branch said they will be issuing visa debit cards within 12 months.
I think when SEPA comes into effect on jan 1, it will completely change banking here for good as the irish market will be open to foreign banks who will try to attract business here

Wirecard is a complete waist of time, they ask for ID as soon as you wire transfer funds into your account, locking the account and the with hold the funds until you do so, plus they ignore emails meaning you have to call all the time, I have just closed my account with them and i'm still waiting for them to refund my €70 that i sent on NOV 3rd, my advice is STAY AWAY!

that is not true, they locked my account because i transferred money from my AIB account with the IBAN/BIC codes
I did not break any rules
I have read online of plenty of people having problems with them

More banks should just issue Visa Debit, even if its only as an option for people who request it.
This lock-in to Laser seems a bit like a cartel to me.. i.e. the banks operate Laser and won't provide any alternatives and no doubt, Halifax issued Visa debit as the 'club' must have made issuing Laser difficult.

Maestro is backed by Mastercard, so it should see acceptance very widely internationally. [broken link removed]
The issue in Ireland is the security code that appears at the back of the card, most Irish banks don't provide this 4 digit no. You can use it over the counter when abroad if they accept maestro but the card is useless when you need to buy something over the internet.
NIB according an earlier post are now providing the four letter security code at the back of their cards. Making them more widely accepted than most Irish Maestro cards. So personally I am going to open an account there.

Maestro is backed by Mastercard, so it should see acceptance very widely internationally. [broken link removed]
The issue in Ireland is the security code that appears at the back of the card, most Irish banks don't provide this 4 digit no. You can use it over the counter when abroad if they accept maestro but the card is useless when you need to buy something over the internet.
NIB according an earlier post are now providing the four letter security code at the back of their cards. Making them more widely accepted than most Irish Maestro cards. So personally I am going to open an account there.
Let us know how you got on with NIB. They told me they give Maestro cards even with a savings account. I have a 4 digit number on the back of my AIB Maestro followed by a space then a 3 digit number. Is that what you mean?

This lock-in to Laser seems a bit like a cartel to me.. i.e. the banks operate Laser and won't provide any alternatives
Would that not be in breach of competition legislation? Worth contacting competition authority?

wirecard lock your account if the name you have given them and the name of your account doesn't exactly match contact both them and your branch about it

I'm afraid not only Irish Maestro cards can't be used for international transactions! My Belgian card has been refused as well in the UK because there is no three-digit security code on it! Welcome to Europe!

Have you ever tried to transfer money from your Irish bank account into the Paypal bank account at the Bank of America in Dublin? They refuse to give their IBAN and BIC codes, which, according to my Bank of Ireland manager, are essential to the transaction!

All you have to do is go to the 'Top Up Account' tab in 'My Account' section. When you do that you will get the following details:

Beneficiary Name:pAYPAL PTE LTD

Bank: Bank of America N.A., Dublin

Bank code (Sorting Code):990061

Account Number:53202043

Your Transfer ID:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Your transfer ID will appear automatically when you click the tab. You need to quote this code in order for your payment to be associated with your Paypal account.

Just remember that you will have had to already added your bank account details to your Paypal account profile

Back