No Claims Bonus following accident

supertrooper

I was in an accident today, the other driver accepted liability, he drove into the side of me. The gardai were called and he accepted liability to them. Can someone advise if I loose my no claims bonus if I go through my insurance company? I have read through other posts on this issue and am not clear on the situation.

I cannot get to speak to anyone in the insurance company until Tuesday.

Thank

Your NCB will not be affected by this accident. The only reason that anyone may lose their NCB is for a claim from their own insurance - either for their own or a third party's damage.

You are under no obligation to let your own insurance company know that you have been in an accident as you were not liable, but there is no harm in them knowing - so they can fight your corner if need be.

Don't claim thru your comprehensive unless absolutely necessary, as your NCB is suspended until the outlay is reimbursed by the other insurance company.

Last edited:
Your NCB will not be affected by this accident. The only reason that anyone may lose their NCB is for a claim from their own insurance - either for their own or a third party's damage.

You are under no obligation to let your own insurance company know that you have been in an accident as you were not liable, but there is no harm in them knowing - so they can fight your corner if need be.

Don't claim thru your comprehensive unless absolutely necessary, as your NCB is suspended until the outlay is reimbursed by the other insurance company.
hi

i was in accident and it wasnt my fault either and due to the crash and mu injuries i have been advised not to drive since, and the accident is nearly 2 yr's. i have not claimed from my insurance company but i am claiming of his insurance company, but yet i was told that i will loose all my 7 years ncb, because i havent gone back driving.

so where is the fairness of that..............

My understanding is that you should NEVER seek to get the other party in an accident to admit liability on the spot - and similarly, you should never admit liability yourself. I think that you will find a statement to that effect in your policy. Anybody admitting liability undermines (but does not eliminate) the capability of an insurance company to manage the case. And so it may be that if you breach your policy by such admission, then the insurance company may not pay the full amount, leaving you with a tidy bill.

My understanding is that you should each provide a description of the facts, and some insurance companies provide such a form. The facts describe only what happened, not who was to blame.

Lorr01, the only way to keep your NCB is to have insurance. Could you be listed as a named driver on someones policy without actually driving? I'm not sure whether this is either allowed or would allow you to keep your NCB - but it's worth investigating, if you believe that the time will come that you will resume driving.

Lorr01, the only way to keep your NCB is to have insurance. Could you be listed as a named driver on someones policy without actually driving? I'm not sure whether this is either allowed or would allow you to keep your NCB - but it's worth investigating, if you believe that the time will come that you will resume driving.
hi ya

i tried all i could, i rand my ins comp, they told me i had to get a car and ins it under my own name as wasnt aloud to go under a named driver, gave out and told them i would send them doc's report, they didnt give a damm, was very rude to me as im going through enuf besides them causing me more agro, then told them im getting my solicitor on to them and they quickly turned around and a woman very high up in the office rang me and was very nice and sympathetic that i have medical records that i cant drive just yet and she apologised for her staff being rude to me, and told me to contact her directly when i was fit to go back driving and she qould try her best to help me.

its amazing when mentioning a solicitor how they come running?

Back