Self Build Advice

dec1892

Hi everyone

Looking for some advice about a potential self build that I'm considering taking on.

Situation is as follows:
- have significant sum of cash available to purchase a site in county Dublin with planning permission for a 1,800 sq foot double story house
- if I purchase this site with cash, the plan is to then sell my current home releasing 100k of positive equity and transferring my current mortgage (via portal tracker) of 200k to build the new house
- so basically I would have 300k available (100k cash and 200k mortgage)....would this be enough to build a house to a decent finish? Presume builders etc are that bit more expensive here in Dublin

What do I need to be aware of?

Would an architect be the first port of call?

Haven't too much of an idea with what would be involved so I'm thinking I would need a project manager to oversee the build of it. What is this likely to cost?

All input welcome and will be much appreciated

Thanks

- have significant sum of cash available to purchase a site in county Dublin with planning permission for a 1,800 sq foot double story house

Full planning permission? Or outline planning permission? Or something else?

And the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations:

[broken link removed]

Full planning permission? Or outline planning permission? Or something else?

Full planing permission.

I should have stated that it's a developed site....small development with 7 houses, planning permission comes with house already designed with the layout as per planning permission....so once you buy the site, up to yourself to get your own builder to construct the house as detailed per the planning permission

Not!

In that case you don't need an architect. Unless you decide to build a different house.

That makes sense seeing as the plans include pre-specified house and inside layout.

I'm looking for someone to project manage it as much as possible for me, remove as much stress from the project for us - stressed enough with work and family life as it is!!......who would be best placed to manage it so in this case if I don't actually require an architect?
Would the builder himself project manage it or do we need someone above him overseeing/managing it?

Last edited:
Thanks, that was very useful.

So the certifier can be the surveyor if you wish?

Yes. As long as they are chartered. Individuals who can act as assigned certifiers include architects registered with the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI), a chartered building surveyor, or a chartered engineer.

I'm looking for someone to project manage it as much as possible for me, remove as much stress from the project for us - stressed enough with work and family life as it is!!......who would be best placed to manage it so in this case if I don't actually require an architect?
Would the builder himself project manage it or do we need someone above him overseeing/managing it?

In most cases the assigned certifier will be the Project Manager. An RIAI registered Architect, a chartered Building Surveyor or a charter Engineer would be the best placed to manage your build. The Planning Drawings you have will not be enough to construct your house and you will require additional construction drawings & specification to proceed. It would be best to hire the same professional to prepare these working drawing, tender the project, appoint the contractor, supervise and project manage the build and sign off on the completed project.

Letting a builder manage himself is a recipe for disaster. Don't cut corners on supervision of your build as its likely to cost you in the long term.

Last edited:
Back