Looking for advice as thinking of buying a low end new car

bigjoe_dub

thinking of buying a low end new car. (make and model still not decided upon)

current car is a 01 honda accord. owes me nothing. had it 8 years and was a great motor. I doubt I would get any trade in for in.

Anyway, my question, assuming no trade in, what level of discount(if any) should I be expecting off the dealer if paying in cash.

TIA.

I am negotiating at the moment and I think 10% would be reasonable but it will vary wildly according to model and price. This would not be a good month to go buying 'new' as the garages are selling 151 cars steadily this month. If you are a cash buyer, you should consider buying used but fresh in NI.

current car is a 01 honda accord. owes me nothing. had it 8 years and was a great motor. I doubt I would get any trade in for in.

Correct! Better off selling it privately. You should get somewhere between €1,000 - €2,000 for it depending on specs and condition.

What low end you looking at...iv had two kia few years back, v steady car, inlaws just purchased three new kias..look closely as often they are cheaper as they dont include all things youd normally consider standard...new rio looks well with loads tech gadgets but no electric windows, nightmare for me, owner 60+ in question hadnt even realised till day three of owning it...car proving not suitable now..

One of my own kias didnt have central locking Unbelievably salesman sold it as having it so finally they relented n retro fitted, not same thing at all...

I am negotiating at the moment and I think 10% would be reasonable but it will vary wildly according to model and price. .
I am in the same situation and would agree that about 10% is what you can expect for cash for an average car. But beware certain dealers want you to take the 'discount' in upgrades to the car, i.e. fancy upholstery, etc. and not as a cash discount. As for your old car do not underestimate what it is worth. You will probably get better deal on it by going to a Honda dealership, if you intend to buy a new car of the same make.

I would recommend that you look at nearly new models (6 months - 1 year old) as you'll get great discounts on these.

They are also usually the run out models, with lots of extra equipment too. AC and parking sensors well worth having. I'd have assumes that electric windows would be standard these days.

New is usually not good value in cars. More so for low end.

in the heal of the hunt I went for a wee Hyundai i10. Dealt with a very nice, non pushy chap in the NCR dealership.
I got the i10 premium for more or less the same price as the standard model for a cash sale. It has all the bells and whistles (traction control (whatever that is :) ), blue tooth, bigger alloy wheels, metallic paint, Rear Parking Sensor, AC, cruise Control, 5 Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty)

Although a day or 2 over the offer he chucked in the 5 year free servicing package and 5 years AA membership.

Picked her up yesterday. was like a 90 year old granny driving home. almost afraid to drive it.

all in all very happy with it. went online last night to tax her. with the pin the dealer gave me i was able to do it in 5 mins. no waiting around in the motor tax office for hours. €190 for the year. Thats near €600 cheaper that what i was taxing the Accord for.
rang the insurance company and there was no change to my primium ever though i was going from a 14 year old car to new. surprised at that.

touch wood I am in for some cheap, hassle free driving for a few years. Not going to miss NCT land at all at all. :)

Back