Closing date of Jan 15th 2015 for house purchase - am I liable?

Under the LPT rules, the owner on 1 November is liable for the LPT the following year.

But it's likely that the contract makes you liable to pay them for it.

Brendan

yes it is on the contract alright, so I presume that money is going back to the vendor. Ok, thanks Brendan

Hello

I buing house actualy i already bought house just wait for key pay all what i have to from my side today i was expecting to get the key and suprise my solicitor ring me and said that they want money for LPT 225e.
I dont see any thing about that in contract so do I have to give money back to vendor ? pls. for fast answer as i go to my solicitor tomorrow

Yes. Even if its not in the contract, it may have been agreed in the dealings. It would be unusual for the vendor not to require the purchaser to apportion/pay the LPT for their ownership period.

mf

we had a similar issue and we told that it was whoever's pps number was linked to house on Nov 1 that was liable. The lady said the transfer of pps numbers occurs with the stamp duty i think?

Think it through.

Liability date is Nov 1 2014. Whoever is the owner on that date is liable for LPT for 2015.

House is being sold. New owner completes on January 21st 2015. Is it fair that liable person on 1.11.2014 who sells house on 21.1.2015 pays all the LPT for all of 2015?

No - it is not.

Which is why when people are selling they insist that the purchaser should reimburse them for any LPT which covers the period from when the purchaser completes the sale.

mf

I agree that it may not be fair as such but as you stated yourself if the liability date in nov 1 then whoever wons on that date is liable for 2015. end of. the question of what is fair is another matter.

Back