Odd payment options from Greyhound

ang1170

I've just had a notice from Greyhound on their charges for next year.

Option 1: €60/year, €6.50 black and €3.60 brown bin lift charge
Option 2: €29/month, no lift charges (works out at €348/year)
Option 3: €330/year, no lift charges
Option 4: €100/year, pay by weight.

Green bins free on all options.

Now, given there's 26 collections per year, the maximum option 1 can cost is €322.60. It can be less if you don't always put the bins out.

So: who in their right mind would go for option 2 or 3? Option 2 does include a 2nd black bin, but you'd want to be generating a lot of waste to need this.

Can someone explain the logic to me?

Its Greyhound they are not Vulcans

But yes, it would appear that options 2 or 3 are crazy to select as option 1 caps the charge at 322.6 [60+(6.5*26)+(3.6*26)]

I know Greyhound automatically selected an option for me, so I better check that again when I get home.

There's an additional charge per kilo on some of the options if the weight is over a certain limit. So €322.6 is not the max for option 1.

My Brown bins regularly weigh in at over 40 kgs.Greyhound allow 20 kg as a "normal" bin weight and charge above this at 20 odd cent per kilo.

There's an additional charge per kilo on some of the options if the weight is over a certain limit. So €322.6 is not the max for option 1.

Aha - yes, I see it now: the small print.

If you have a lot of heavy waste, option 1 could work out as the most expensive, OK.

Unfortunately, this is not something you can determine if you haven't been in the habit of weighing your bins.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to Greyhound (I'm in a Dublin City Council area)? After an absolutely disastrous start, Greyhound seemed to settle down, and I've had no complaints about them since that early period. Mind you, I’d still prefer the original council’s service, where you could actually talk to someone who knew what was going on if there was a problem.

I recently changed to clean Ireland , pay 20 euros per month for 26 lifts i have an extra large recycling bin free brown bin and normal rubbish bin . Weigh limits apply but always only a quater full since i started using the brown bin

I recently changed to clean Ireland , pay 20 euros per month for 26 lifts i have an extra large recycling bin free brown bin and normal rubbish bin . Weigh limits apply but always only a quater full since i started using the brown bin

Not available in Dublin, I'm afraid.

All the records show 0 for the weight.

If it helps, we have two weights recorded for 2012, one of 17KG for a small black bin and one of 30KG for a brown bin. I think that brown bin was heavier than usual as it was all compostable bags of kitchen waste (dense and wet) rather than being mixed with garden waste, leaves, cuttings etc.

For us, I think plan 1 will be slighly cheaper than the existing costs:

2012:
€80 - annual cost
€21 - 5 small black @ 4.20
€12 - 6 brown @ €2
= €113

2013:
€50 - annual cost (60 - 10 credit for paying early)
€20 - 5 small black @ 4
€21.6 - 6 brown @ 3.60
€14.40 - 6 * 10KG extra weight @.24 / KG
= €106

got email from Greyhound today....black bin lift charges increased from 6.50 to 7.00 because a Govt increase in landfill levy costs

It just keeps getting more and more expensive to keep going in their country

Why anyone continues to deal wtih Greyhound is beyond me ...

They are a complete disgrace, threat their customers with disrespect, don't care about the mess they leave (in terms of your bins scatted up and town the road, along with rubbish also, on occassion) .... do some reasearch on this and other websites, you will quickly find comments both of my own and other former customers experiences. Then, to top it all off, they are not the best value for money, in my view ...

I moved to the Red Bin and it was the best thing I ever did ... while I've no connection with them, I am a happy customer. Other service providers also appear to be getting some good comments, from their customers so why put up with Greyhound ?

There is consumer choice you know ;)

Greyhound sucked in a lot of customers late last year due to the 50% option. When people read into it and saw other options they then said no refunds (which turned out to be illegal). On that basis they kept a lot of customers. I don't see any difference in price for me personally so moving is not a requirement. I haven't seen rubbish tipping about the place either. I'm not defending Greyhound but I guess this is a case of people frequently complain but seldom compliment.

I was with them only because they had'nt charged me for a bin lift since day 1...just the annual fee. Happy days.
But thats just recently stopped and I got a 30e charge on a recent black bin lift as it was 75kg.

So I'll be moving on soon enough, don't worry about that

The letter Greyhound sent recently regarding the 50c increase in South Dublin was anything but transparent, moaning how this was a tax on the people of Ireland by the Government of Ireland (what else do Governments do?). They described it as a 15% increase in their operating costs. It might be a 15% increase in one of their operating costs, but it's not a 15% increase in their total operating cost.

Still they said they were doing their best to minimise the effect and managed to limit the increase to 50 c per lift. Doing the maths, a €10 per tonne (1000 kg) levy increase works out at 1 c per kilo, so even if you always left out the maximum 40 kg, a fair increase would only be 40 c per lift. And I suspect that most people's bin is a lot less than 40 kg, so Greyhound have taken advantage of this levy increase to slip in an increase of their own that will net them 20 or 30 c per collection. If they just came out and said it, it wouldn't be so bad, but when they wrap it up in all sorts of pious complaining and blame it all on the Government, it just add insult to injury.

Roll on September when my contract is due to expire!

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone other than Greyhound for Dublin City Council area? Someone's mentioned Red Bin, but unfortunately the don't collect on my road.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone other than Greyhound for Dublin City Council area? Someone's mentioned Red Bin, but unfortunately the don't collect on my road.

Please look for recommendations in the appropriate forum.

Please look for recommendations in the appropriate forum.

This looks to be somewhat out of date, with some providers not mentioned, and the rates quoted on those that are have also changed.

The letter Greyhound sent recently regarding the 50c increase in South Dublin was anything but transparent, moaning how this was a tax on the people of Ireland by the Government of Ireland (what else do Governments do?). They described it as a 15% increase in their operating costs. It might be a 15% increase in one of their operating costs, but it's not a 15% increase in their total operating cost.

Still they said they were doing their best to minimise the effect and managed to limit the increase to 50 c per lift. Doing the maths, a €10 per tonne (1000 kg) levy increase works out at 1 c per kilo, so even if you always left out the maximum 40 kg, a fair increase would only be 40 c per lift. And I suspect that most people's bin is a lot less than 40 kg, so Greyhound have taken advantage of this levy increase to slip in an increase of their own that will net them 20 or 30 c per collection. If they just came out and said it, it wouldn't be so bad, but when they wrap it up in all sorts of pious complaining and blame it all on the Government, it just add insult to injury.

Roll on September when my contract is due to expire!

There was trouble over this.

Has anyone had an offer from Greyhound offering free yearly membership, cheaper lifts, 2 months free and a promise to be cheaper than Thorntons next year? Despite this offer still not tempted as too many bad reports about them.

Back