Where can i buy a Cavalier King Charles Pup in the leinster area?

Sorry truthseeker you took me up wrong, I didn't imply the lurchers / pointers were the unsuitable dogs (although 8 out of 12 dogs were lurchers which was strange I thought), there was those and other unsuitable dogs. Eg I asked about a particular dog and was told he came from an abused background and could not be rehomed except to someone expert in rehabilitation (yet was advertised for a loving home) Anyway I totally take your point about puppy farmers on done deal and to avoid it people need to follow guidelines like visiting the person (not doing the deal in a car park etc) and seeing the mother with the puppy etc, like olddoll says. And I agree people should be responsible before getting a dog but most dog owners don't go to the vet until the dog is sick so yes I did think pre-registering was a bit extreme. I don't include myself in that since I come from a family with happy dogs as pets and so does my boyfriend.

Ironically your local dog shelter was doing exactly what a puppy farmer will not do i.e. taking the time to get to know the dogs in their care, learn the individual personalities, piece together each dog's background, and then give you informed, unbiased advice about the suitability of a dog.

My experience of the DSPCA is that they get to know their dogs really well before adopting them out, and give really useful advice. My experience of the myriad lurchers and greyhounds I've seen there is that they are virtually universally great dogs - even those lurchers and greyhounds that have had traumatic backgrounds tend to cower and be afraid rather than display aggression, which I've seen other breeds do if they've been abused in the past.

I have to say, if I was choosing I'd go for a quiet, intelligent, gentle lurcher everyday over a frankly rather stupid, disease-prone cavalier king charles - but that's just me!

Ah now Sherman, theres a nicer way to put that!! While I agree that King Charles are prone to Cancer in later life, they are still a lovely breed. All different breeds have different qualities to them and most owners find a breed suited to them.

fizzelina, our 2 year old miniature jack russell was stolen 3 weeks ago. we kept an eye out on all the for sale ads and lo and behold an ad went up on gumtree 4 days later for a '12 month old jack russell' for sale due to 'owners moving'. no picture. we called the number and the guy said he'd been unemployed and got a job in carlow and was moving there for that reason and couldn't take the dog with him. said he was a great family dog and got on great with kids etc blah blah...

we asked him to send a pic and it was OUR dog!

we met him in ballymun and had to hand over €150 to get him back. the dog was drugged when we got him back also, as he's an aggressive enough terrier but slept for nearly 2 days after we got him home. just glad he's back safe and sound.

bottom line, don't believe one ounce of rubbish these sellers tell you on gumtree, donedeal etc.

Did you report this to the Guards. I wonder how many more dogs has this guy stolen and then sold on and still doing it. Very sad for your little dog. Hope he is ok now.

fizzelina, our 2 year old miniature jack russell was stolen 3 weeks ago. we kept an eye out on all the for sale ads and lo and behold an ad went up on gumtree 4 days later for a '12 month old jack russell' for sale due to 'owners moving'. no picture. we called the number and the guy said he'd been unemployed and got a job in carlow and was moving there for that reason and couldn't take the dog with him. said he was a great family dog and got on great with kids etc blah blah...

we met him in ballymun and had to hand over €150 to get him back. the dog was drugged when we got him back also, as he's an aggressive enough terrier but slept for nearly 2 days after we got him home. just glad he's back safe and sound.

bottom line, don't believe one ounce of rubbish these sellers tell you on gumtree, donedeal etc.

Oh gosh that is shocking, I'm naive obviously. Anyway luckily our dog was genuine, we visited twice before taking him, saw him with the kids there etc, also got all the Irish Kennel Clubs papers so we could transfer the ownership and have had a few calls since with previous owners wondering how is he getting on.

Hi bb12. Yes there is a large concentration of puppy farms in Tipperary, but there are farms all over the country and puppies will be carted from these farms to locations all over the country. Unfortunately, they supply most of the pet shops too. As I said earlier, you can't be suspicious enough of ads etc.

Personally if I were looking for a dog right now I would get a shelter dog, probably the most decrepid, saddest looking dog in the place would be my choice!

Ash - this made me laugh - myself and hubby always say this, we are not currently in a position to be dog owners (live in an apartment and both out all day), but some day will definitely get a dog and the choice will be the most bockety one in the shelter - so long as he has a nice temperment. Our usual joke is 'one ear? 3 legs? very licky? We'll take him!'.

My brother as a child (in the days where kids roamed wild and free!!) used to bring home the scabbiest, ugliest dogs, normally missing a leg or with a tail hanging off, our family photos of our old pets are hilarious looking at some of them!! Ive never owned a dog in my adult life as I am a "cat person" whatever that is but i would love a lurcher if i did have a doggie.

...but i would love a lurcher if i did have a doggie.

Me too - thats my dream dog. There was a gorgeous 3 legged one in my local shelter recently, she was such a sweetie - I would have loved to have her!

I call them 'leaners' cos of the way they gently lean against you for a bit of affection.

My sister has a lurcher and everyone in family, including my parents and particularly my brother, are mad about him.

I would never have thought that what I previously considered a racing dog could be so wonderful with 4 'lively' kids, so kind, intelligent and affectionate.

He's called 'dodgey' as my brother-in-law was told he was a labrador puppy by a man down the pub from whom he got him. My sister declared him to be a 'dodgey' looking labrador when he arrived at the house and the name stuck.

Wonderful dogs with kids!

rre king charles pup

hi just saw there is somebody giving 2 puppies away on gumtree.ie, king charles.

Hi jeni have a look on this web site seems to be good a choice lets us know if you find what your looking for.

[broken link removed]

by the way i have no connection to this site or sellers on it.

I wouldn't advise buying from this site or other sites like this. I own 2 cavalier rescue dogs so I know a bit about them. Please keep in mind that cavaliers are VERY prone to serious health issues such as MVD (heart problem) and SM (brain disorder). These condition can range from being very mild to causing the dogs death and can end up costing the owner a lot of heartache (and money!) Many breeders on those websites keep breeding dogs knowing full well about these health issues. If you are determined to buy a pup please do your research and buy from a reputable breeder. In saying that, animal shelters are full of unwanted dogs and I know of a wonderful lady who rehomes cavaliers to good homes. The last cavalier I rescued was only two years old and is very small and really playful so you'd be surprised how great these little dogs can be without actually buying a pup. I know of several little beauties right now looking for loving homes. Believe me it is so rewarding. We've watched our little one go from being a very nervous, uneasy little dog with hair so matted her skin was infected to being a happy, relaxed, healthy little girl! :) If you're interested in rehoming or need any info please feel free to pm me. Best of luck!

Btw I have no connection to any animal shelters.

I'd well believe this. I answered an ad on either donedeal or gumtree about someone rehoming a dog "for free." I enquired about it having a fair idea what was going on but I wanted to know exactly how they go about it. They told me everything about my "new puppy" from his favourite toys to what he liked to eat. I played along. Long story but I was told that the dog would have to be shipped from England, it would cost E150 to ship and to send to such an address. E-mails went back and forth and I said my brother would be in England next week and would collect the dog for me (total lie!). At this stage they were getting pretty fed up with me as I wouldn't play ball so I told them upfront I knew exactly what was going on. Needless to say the e-mail I got back was probably the most abusive thing I've ever read. Written in really bad English with language I couldn't repeat! :) So yes, everything you hear about these scams are 100% true. Avoid these sites like the plague. Chnaces are they're either scams, puppy farms or basically people breeding dogs that couldn't care less.

Back