Key Post SCAM: Cold caller from India pretends to be from Windows offers to fix your computer.

My response to one of these calls last year was:
"Sorry you must have a wrong number - I dont have a phone"
After a lengthy silence he hung up!

Got one of these scam calls from some Indian man calling from a 0019476632176 number tonight. He was certainly very adamant I went to my computer despite my disinterest. When I got there he then asked me to open some microsoft software. I told him I actually ran Apple software, he apologised and hung up fairly quickly.

I'd say they'll ring back claiming to have some Mac fix

I got this call the other day too. I told them I don't have a pc. Asked me did I have a laptop to which I said no. End of call.

I realise now that we got two of these calls today but my first thought was that this was telemarketing and I always try to let them down gently. It's like shouting at the waitress when the chef is at fault and I try hard not to do it; they're just doing a thankless job at the frontline. Anyway, the first call asked for my mother by name so I said that she was deceased and that maybe I could help instead. He then asked about our PC and I explained that the only one was my business PC, completely separate situation and nothing to do with the household. I told him that we didn't need whatever they were offering and thank you, goodbye.

The second call, asking for my father this time, caught me at lunchtime, up to high doh chasing my own tail so I was a bit more impatient. I told him that I'd already explained to his colleague earlier about not needing their service (whatever it was because I didn't give then time to launch either time) and would he please ensure that we were never called again. He promised me faithfully that he'd see to it and he sounded like such a nice young man that I'm sure I can count on him to keep his word!

I got a call back today from one of these guys. I take back my last post on this which said that I wanted them to call back so i could mess with their head...when he called today I pretended to go through all the steps he wanted me to and then at the end when he asked what was coming up on my screen I told him it said 'Computer scanners will go to Hell'...there was silence for a few seconds so I took this opportunity to tell him what I thought of him and hung up. Since then he has repeatedly called back to tell me that I am very rude and that I mustn't have much respect for my computer. He's messing with my head now!! He called back about 10 times in a row. Very very annoying! My advice...just don't engage with them!

slow running computer guy on phone scam

this has probably been discussed before , but these guys are at it again
ringing you and telling you there is a problem/computer running slow and that they can fix it for you over the phone and logging on to their site then stealing your information ,so any of you get these calls remember it is a scam

Thanks JohnWilliams,

I have attached your post to the original key post thread.

I think boards.ie covered this as well.

aj

folks
was thinking of telling them my computer was at office and giving them my fake office phone number (garda number ) anyone know garda computer fraud dept phone number. when they ring garda hopefully garda operater can keep them talking long enough to trace them or upload a virus to their systems.
would the garda mind us getting them to ring their fraud office

Got one of these phone calls from an Asian man yesterday!
No number showed up but decided to answer. Got "Hello Mrs xxxxxxxx this is the Technical Dept of Windows blah blah blah".
Just said back "I know ALL about these scam phonecalls,goodbye!" and hung up.Didn't give him a chance to say anything else!

Net64

net64, that's no fun. I had that call yesterday, and played along as long as I could. When the chap asked did I have a laptop or desktop, I said "But if you're from the maintenance department you know that!". There was silence, and the game was over. Pity, I was enjoying myself.

Got one of these calls yesterday from an Indian guy. Told me to put computer on and press ctrl key & microsoft key beside it together. Told him I was not happy continuing with the phone call as I didnt know him or his company. Asked me to wait & he would get his supervisor. I told him that even if he did that, that I wouldn't be any the wiser about the company. I told him I was going to hang up and he got a bit stroppy and said "that's fine then but its your lose if you are not interested in improving your computer".

Interesting that I got a call 3 days ago from an Asian guy, I was out at the time and my wife answered, who knows nothing about computers. Within the last two weeks I have been on to various technical supports because I installed a wireless router, most of these supports are redirected to India. I wonder if there is a connection. I could have been caught by this one if I was at home at the time

Slight variation on a theme!!

I was googling for some training course information (looking for MS Excel sample files to suit a training course I'm doing), and one of the replies looked promising so I clicked on it.

The webpage I was brought to was titled "Wait - this is important - we are checking your computer for errors", and the screen appeared to show my "My Computer" contents.

I found I was unable to close the webpage (close button didn't work) so I disconnected from the internet and shut the computer down. Did a full scan and found nothing, so I'm hoping I was lucky and escaped in time!

The phone call scam must not be successful enough, now they're infiltrating search engines!

As my computer was slow i was a victim of one of these calls yesterday. The guy with foreign accent said he was working for Microsoft. I did not give, nor was i asked, for any personal bank account numbers but he did ask me to press various keys..e.g. from memory the flag key (third on left at bottom) and the letter R. Initially i thought he was genuine but gave up eventually as i could not understand what he was saying. My concern is that did my action in pressing some keys and typing in some letters he said like " e j u" allow him to get access to my computer. I have internet banking and i phoned them and they have cancelled my data and will send out new data. Frankly i probably will not use the new data in case the guy somehow will be able to access same and clear out my account. My knowledge of computers extremely limited.

I was in my mam s today at lunch time when they rang. I answered and the Asian woman said she was ringing about "the computer". I said "what computer?" and xhe start going on about Microsoft windows. I said we have an apple. Silence then she apologised and went off.

Back