Home How to decide AMOUNT of insurance required?

homeboy

Helping an elderly person with their home insurance, and have some questions:

How do you decide the amount of house insurance required - are rebuilding costs a % of the market value of the house?

House contents - how do you decide the amount to be insured?

Also any pointers to good value insurers (not online).

Many thanks.

Last edited:
You will get a much better response to your question if you the title of your post in line with the Posting Guidelines.

Please read the before posting again on Askaboutmoney.

Any responses to posts with meaningless titles will be removed.

If the title is not edited within a reasonable time, the post will be deleted.

Brendan
Administrator

Helping an elderly person with their home insurance, and have some questions:

How do you decide the amount of house insurance required - are rebuilding costs a % of the market value of the house?

Have a look at .

House contents - how do you decide the amount to be insured

Really depends on the spec! There's a huge difference between the prices of beds, curtains, kitchens, tvs etc so you really need to to look at replacing like for like in your particular case.

Just to let you know how I got on...............

Thanks to demovire who very kindly and usefully provided a link to rebuilding costs I was able to establish a more appropriate level of building cover. Additionally we re-thought the amount of the contents cover.

As a result the quoted price came down by 100 euro.

Additionally I was able to quote a price for the exact same cover from a competitor and that resulted in a further reduction of 25 euro - JUST BY ASKING!!!

My elderly friend now has 125 euro at their disposable and I hope they enjoy it!

Lessons learnt: Establish appropriate levels of building & contents cover and haggle over the price. It works!

Back