step children, can they cease to be step children?

4th estate

Just a puzzle.

My cousin A. married again following the death of his wife. There was one child of the first marriage - B.

So his second wife C is the step mother of B.

If my cousin A dies before his wife C, will the step child still be a step child of C?

The answer could have inheritance tax implications for the step child if her step mother leaves her property if widowed after A's death.

Hope I have explained myself properly!

Did C legally adopt B?

No.

B was fifteen when the second marriage occurred. There was no rancour or anything, but adoption just didnt happen.

C considers B to be her child, she has no children of her own.

I suppose C could still go down the adoption route, but B is now in her twenties. Don't know if adoption is allowed where the adoptee is over eighteen. More questions!!

AFAIK, having some of these issues in our extended family, the step-mother is still a step-mother after the death of the natural father but step children have no automatic rights of inheritance.

However, a step-parent, while alive, may gift to a stepchild as if they are one of their biological children and the gift-tax levels are the high parent to child ones.

The best way would be if the natural father provided for both his wife and his child in his will, in case he dies first.

Hope that helps,

Ladybird

but step children have no automatic rights of inheritance.

Neither do children where there is a will leaving them nothing.

I''m not sure on the inheritance rules in relation to step children. But I do know this, making a will is a very cheap process and the questions above will be answered. There is even a campaign currently for wills to be done for €50. That's a bargain by any standard. And there is no question but that making a will is an excellant idea.

I am sorry if i was unclear, but i was talking about children automatically inheriting if there is no will ie parent to child, and pointing out that there is no automatic stepparent to stepchild right of inheritance in this country as some people might presume - especially a biological parent unaware of the discrepancy.

Ladybird

Back