Home Insurance policy cancelled with no notification

ney001

Hi

I had a home insurance policy which was paid monthly.

Whilst going through bank statements yesterday I realized that the direct debit hasn't gone out for the past two months. Money has been there - there just hasn't been any attempts to get it. I haven't received any notifications from insurance company etc so I am just wondering - can they cancel a policy without notifying you?

thanks in advance

Not sure about non-notification, normally a letter would be sent but if a DD "bounced" they probably stipulate cancellation terms in the contract. Sounds like an error. If you have a mortgage, the insurer will have informed the lender, you need to resolve this quickly.

It may be worth checking that the DD was not over 9 or 10 months instead of over the full 12. On my Insurance renewal last month, the option for DD was over 9 months and not 12.

no they cannot simply cancel without advising you. However, if you were paying by DD over a period, and the DD mandate was NOT a roll over mandate, then the policy may have lapsed. It is up to you to renew. Once renewed, it can only be cancelled as per policy conditions.

Got onto the insurance company - they said they don't know why direct debits haven't been going out - policy is still active and they are looking into it?? thanks for the replies

make sure there's enough money in the account to cater for all three debits to go through the one month!!

Once they 'sort it out' they will present and all debits up to the current month will go from the account the one day.

Back