Entitlements while in hospital

Sholly1234

Hi

My husband has been in hospital for 6 weeks. He is currently out of work and appealing a decision from the social welfare office which is a lengthy process. I am in full time employment with a salary of €32k per annum. We have 2 children under 8 with the expenses of most families i.e. mortgages, utilities, insurance etc.

Since my husband was admitted to hospital I am really struggling financially. Is there anyone I can claim from out talk to about assistance.

I appreciate any feedback in relation to same.

Thanks

What claim is your husband appealing? If it's jobseekers, then he currently doesn't qualify while in hospital.

He may be eligible for Illness Benefit, depending on his PRSI record.
The hospital or your GP should be able to issue a medical cert, called a MC1. It includes an application form.
Send it to the address on the form, and the scheme area will advise on eligibility.

hiya, sorry for your current troubles, but gipimann is certainly on the right track, more importantly, you should contact your local HSE community centre, and meet your local community officer, who will give you any paperwork required, and after accessing your circumstances may be in a position to issue you a temporary payment while application is being processed.

Finnegan, just to point out that the op indicated she was in full time employment. This would debar the family from qualifying for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

Finnegan, just to point out that the op indicated she was in full time employment. This would debar the family from qualifying for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

I will heed to your knowledge in this area, but was under the impression that supplementary welfare allowance scheme facilitated a discretionary payment to those in employment to help with bills in times of trouble. ( at least that was my personal experience)

I can only suggest that it would be no harm to ask the question to the community officer none the less, along with applying for family income supplement to help under these unfortunate circumstances.

Either way, please do go and see your local community officer at your local hse centre... they are very good, and very helpful in these situations.

The only payment which might be made to people who don't normally qualify are urgent payments in respect of major issues - eg fire or flooding. Full time employment, 30 hrs or more per week, debars a person from SWA for all but major emergencies. The OP can certainly visit and make an application.

For information, many of the former Community Welfare Officers are now based in DSP offices rather than health centres, since the service transferred from the HSE 3 years ago. This is an ongoing process, so will differ around the country.

well hopefully her local officer is as caring as down this neck of the woods, where payments may be possible for genuine cases of financial distress, and can cover bills, house hold objects, buggies etc..
fingers crossed and best of luck with the application.

Back