Is it common for Solicitor to seek Party and Party Costs from Client

em_cat

I am having an issue whereby a solicitor who acted for me in a high court case last year is now seeking the Party and Party Costs from me.

Does anyone know if this is common or even legal?

"Does anyone know if this is common or even legal? "

Yes to both.

mf

No, I actually won the case and the court order states the respondent has to pay costs pursuance to taxation, which has gone to taxation, but the insurance company went into liquidation 2 weeks after Taxing Master made her ruling so now my solicitor is seeking payment for the party and party fees although I have already paid my solicitor/client fees.

He is listed as the creditor from the notice he served to the Liquidator not me. Anyway when he issued the taxed Bill of Costs, it was very unclear as there is no evidence of monies received or paid out, save for the settlement monies that I received from the insurance co. Instead in the covering email they stated they would be obliged if I would promptly send them a cheque for the p and p costs.

Last edited:
Update

Met with solicitor and Barrister, they said that sending out the Bill of Costs was a formality. The issue is that Setanta was the third party insurer and they conveniently announced their liquidation 2 weeks after a 5 month delay on the taxing masters ruling which was agreed by both parties. So now there is a party and party Bill of Cost outstanding.

Back