Donald Trump

The man with the [broken link removed] (you have to love the Aberdonians!)

Given that Trump is worth $4bn and has a bigger ego than anyone else on the planet, I think this is clearly legacy-building stuff. When he eventually pops his clogs I'd expect his children to flog it. Having said that, it will probably be the finest course in the land when complete, but I for one would never set foot in a place called Trump International Golf Links Ireland. I'd rather bum in around Corbalis in Dublin for 20 quid.

GET IN THE HOLE :(

The fawning and kowtowing is hard to take but it’s hardly Trump’s fault. He’s a big ego and stupid hair but so what.
His company is investing here and will provide jobs. I find it strange that people take umbrage at the notion that they will seek to make money out of the venture. Government ministers spend much of their time glad-handling and ego massaging; it comes with the job (unfortunately).

T'was cringe-worthy and I think Mr Trump himself looked a bit embarrassed.

Felt sorry for the 3 girls playing the instruments - they looked frozen!

Video is here for anyone who hasn't seen it.

The fawning and kowtowing is hard to take but it’s hardly Trump’s fault. He’s a big ego and stupid hair but so what.
His company is investing here and will provide jobs. I find it strange that people take umbrage at the notion that they will seek to make money out of the venture. Government ministers spend much of their time glad-handling and ego massaging; it comes with the job (unfortunately).

I don't have any issue with anyone making money but is our Minister of Finance going to be at the airport to meet everyone who buys a hotel or a golf course? I understand that it is his region and it is election time but it was pitiful looking.

If you could have taken out the Toor-a-loora bit (& the red carpet) it would have been fairly acceptable.

Lets not forget Inda wanted every US businessman to ring him!!

Overall I think its a good news story, a nice asset (& employer) in a remote area was in danger of becoming a wasteland.

Maybe the yanks like the Open for Business/Its a great country to do business - type stuff, so lets feed it to 'em.

There are over 200 people employed by the resort in an area with little employment.

If that guy wants a Flying Carpet for his arrival, so be it.

He got a bargain! But that was the market value at the time.

Let's hope that he maintains and increases employment in the Lodge.

Fabulous place. Beautiful beach.

Marion

I don't know why Job bridge is an issue regarding Donald??

The 3 job bridge employees that I have encountered this year at work in our ETB college/school are fabulous. (non-teachers)

They have gained so much experience from working in our College. I wish them well. I hope to see them employed as full time employees next year.

But, I don't expect to see a miracle.

Marion

I don't know why Job bridge is an issue regarding Donald??

The 3 job bridge employees that I have encountered this year at work in our ETB college/school are fabulous. (non-teachers)

They have gained so much experience from working in our College. I wish them well. I hope to see them employed as full time employees next year.

But, I don't expect to see a miracle.

Marion

Some people have an ideological problem with Job Bridge and any other mechanism that gives people experience in a given field. Like most things Job Bridge is open to abuse but the two people I know who have been on the programme have gone on to full time employment.

I think it's incredibly sad (but typical) that Paul Murphy is running as the "anti-job bridge candidate" there are definitely abuses of the system but I'm sure a lot of people are getting good experience out of it and some are getting jobs. Surely it's got to be better than sitting at home doing nothing?

There are over 200 people employed by the resort in an area with little employment.

If that guy wants a Flying Carpet for his arrival, so be it.

He got a bargain! But that was the market value at the time.

Let's hope that he maintains and increases employment in the Lodge.

Fabulous place. Beautiful beach.

Marion

Totally agree, I'd line up to kiss his ass* myself if I felt it would bring investment and employment into Ireland- but luckily we have ministers to do it for us.:D

*the term 'ass' used in deference to his nationality.

I think it's incredibly sad (but typical) that Paul Murphy is running as the "anti-job bridge candidate" there are definitely abuses of the system but I'm sure a lot of people are getting good experience out of it and some are getting jobs. Surely it's got to be better than sitting at home doing nothing?

There's a huge welfare mentality though. While I have sympathy for the guys who were on the late late talking about their housing woes, a bit of me wants to scream - NO-ONE FORCED YOU TO HAVE 3 KIDS UNDER 4, it is not like their circumstances changed that much that what was a good idea then is a bad one now - having one and leaving it at that for the time being would have been more sensible.

What comes across is the accepted wisdom/sense of entitlement that 'the State' must solve everything, personal responsibility doesn't seem to come into it, or cutting your cloth to measure. So if there's a problem then the state is failing everyone.

So bringing that back to the Job Bridge thing - if people expect something for nothing then if there's a bit of work to be done they feel they're being made part of a chain gang. Was a lot to be said for Joan Burtons "full employment" idea - everyone has a job (aka work for the dole). I know allowances need to be made for carers etc. but I think the country (both place & people) would be better off if people had something to get out of bed for. Even if Jobbridge is blocking some real jobs being made available, maybe it gets a lot of people 'through the pipe' of picking up experience to make them employable for 'a real job'.

there's a huge welfare mentality though. While i have sympathy for the guys who were on the late late talking about their housing woes, a bit of me wants to scream - no-one forced you to have 3 kids under 4, it is not like their circumstances changed that much that what was a good idea then is a bad one now - having one and leaving it at that for the time being would have been more sensible.

What comes across is the accepted wisdom/sense of entitlement that 'the state' must solve everything, personal responsibility doesn't seem to come into it, or cutting your cloth to measure. So if there's a problem then the state is failing everyone.

So bringing that back to the job bridge thing - if people expect something for nothing then if there's a bit of work to be done they feel they're being made part of a chain gang. Was a lot to be said for joan burtons "full employment" idea - everyone has a job (aka work for the dole). I know allowances need to be made for carers etc. But i think the country (both place & people) would be better off if people had something to get out of bed for. Even if jobbridge is blocking some real jobs being made available, maybe it gets a lot of people 'through the pipe' of picking up experience to make them employable for 'a real job'.

+1

+ 1 also

I certainly feel that being on the JA longterm and just sitting at home is not good for the economy or the person on JA. There should be a certain length of time ( perhaps a year) after which a person who loses their job and is on JA has to go out and do some sort of work for an extra small amount of money / perhaps not even a full week but something. I think it motivates the person to try harder to get the job he/she might want as I've seen too many people just stay on JA, becoming demotivated totally and lose interest in getting work.

Saw a documentary on RTE last night about the Trump golf course in Aberdeen and the incredible behaviour of Trump and his minions, including Grampian Police Force among others. They absolutely ruined that countryside with no consideration given to either the people living there or the natural beauty of the area. They made it their business to ruin the lives of some of the residents there too, including stealing their land, interfering with their water supply, creating banks of soil to block the views from their homes etc. Scary stuff indeed

Saw a documentary on RTE last night about the Trump golf course in Aberdeen and the incredible behaviour of Trump and his minions, including Grampian Police Force among others. They absolutely ruined that countryside with no consideration given to either the people living there or the natural beauty of the area. They made it their business to ruin the lives of some of the residents there too, including stealing their land, interfering with their water supply, creating banks of soil to block the views from their homes etc. Scary stuff indeed

It's called You've Been Trumped and well worth watching if you can find it on Youtube or [cough cough] anywhere else on the great Interweb.

Back