I should 'of'...

zxcvbnm

I can only assume this has come up before .... But am I the only person who finds it staggering that so many people write 'of' instead of 'have' in the example in the subject title ?

It seems that way more than half the time it's used incorrectly.

Do that many people really not know this ? Or do they use 'of' as some sort of text speak perhaps ?

Is it not just a mis-spelling of should've?

Can't say it is something that annoys me greatly.

Is it not just a mis-spelling of should've?
I don't think so. I think it's not appreciating/caring that should've, despite being pronounced 'should of' (or thereabouts), is actually short for 'should have'. It does annoy me - not least because it just helps perpetuate itself if people see it written and assume it's correct.

I have never experienced that.

I seen quiet a lot their on facebook

quiet for quite
there for their
seen for saw

I find it silly how the English describe the ground as the floor.

Last edited:
Could you be more PACIFIC please. Happens more than you'd think - admittedly only in spoken english.

I'll log off now, I'm starting to sound like Gay Byrne ...would that fella ever...., and now he seems to have spawned Ray D'Arcy to take over the annoying pedant/condescening 'uncle' role !!

More and more these days people write and type phonetically. (Why does this word not start with F?)

If I was speaking it I say "I should of"... I wasnt even aware of it until I read this thread.

If I am writing it I use "I should have"

People who use text speak when writing annoy me but I wouldnt let it spoil my day. If everyone adhered to the correct rules for grammer and writing then the English language would never evolve and we may well still be speaking as they did in Willie Shakespeares time... Some might not think that a bad thing....

If I was speaking it I say "I should of"... I wasnt even aware of it until I read this thread.

If I am writing it I use "I should have"

People who use text speak when writing annoy me but I wouldnt let it spoil my day. If everyone adhered to the correct rules for grammer and writing then the English language would never evolve and we may well still be speaking as they did in Willie Shakespeares time... Some might not think that a bad thing....

Yes - but I don't believe people write 'should of' as text speak. I've no doubt that many people believe this is the correct way it should be written.....which frankly I find astounding.
I wouldn't mind if it was just the odd one - but its most people as far as I can see.

Yes - but I don't believe people write 'should of' as text speak. I've no doubt that many people believe this is the correct way it should be written.....which frankly I find astounding.
I wouldn't mind if it was just the odd one - but its most people as far as I can see.

If the majority keep writing "should of" then in time it will become the correct way of writing it.

Can you give an example please?

All the British reality cop shows on Sky have the police telling the suspect to hit/grab/go down on the floor and most of the situation are outside ... on concrete/tarmac/grass etc.

I've found the use of that term strange when I see it.

I wonder will our illustrious Gardaí start telling the suspects to get down on the urlár rather than on the talamh?

I think that the principle reason people write these words wrong is because they don't understand the basic principals of spelling. Even if they do understand them, they loose concentration easily. This wrecklessness doesn't really effect me that much.

Brendan

I hope you don't 'loose' your concentration too often Brendan!

It could have an enormous 'effect' on you ... :p

This thread reminds me of a cartoon a friend of mine sent to me one time...How do you comfort a grammar pedant? Pat them gently on the back, whispering softly 'there, their, they're' :D

I think that the principle reason people write these words wrong is because they don't understand the basic principals of spelling. Even if they do understand them, they loose concentration easily. This wrecklessness doesn't really effect me that much.

Brendan

I hope you don't 'loose' your concentration too often Brendan!

It could have an enormous 'effect' on you ... :p

Your post made me laugh anyway Brendan. I have to admit though that I do sometimes have to stop and think about the principle / principal thing!!

I heard a reporter on RTE main news saying recently

"Apparently the accused had went to a different building..."

I was really shocked at this. It was a pre-recorded item so I thought that an editor would have corrected it.

Back