Skiving off work

cremeegg

At a time when real people are worried about keeping their jobs. A politician with a job in Dublin stays at home in Sligo and misses an important meeting.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...bsence-from-banking-inquiry-meeting-1.1825754

It isn't the skiving off that I object to, it's the absolute sense of entitlement to skive off that is so offensive. And the really repugnant thing, to blame it on her daughter.

It would be interesting to see if either Joan or Alex have the good sense to rebuke her in public.

This woman should not be on the public pay roll.

If that's how seriously she takes her job it's a positive for all of us that she is not on the committee.

While I'd normally agree with you both on something like this, it is her kids leaving cert.
There's a lot of parents who'd not be happy at having to overnight away from home in the 1st few days of the exams.

The Govt screwed up and whoever the whips are in the Seanad, should get a right roasting from the various party leaders over this

Although after just hearing her trying to explain it on Morning Ireland there and how she did'nt see the email as she was 'out and about, working in Sligo'...and how her parliamentary assistant never brought it to her attention either as been urgent and running out of time, I'd be inclined to blame her now!

While I'd normally agree with you both on something like this, it is her kids leaving cert.
There's a lot of parents who'd not be happy at having to overnight away from home in the 1st few days of the exams.

The Govt screwed up and whoever the whips are in the Seanad, should get a right roasting from the various party leaders over this

That's the job and she knew that when she took it. If she doesn't like it she should leave and let someone who is willing to the job.

I am all for politician bashing but this??? For what I can see, see planned to be off work for these days last Spetember and arranged a pair for Seanad votes. This particular meeting was only called on Wednesday and she had already had made committments. Even if she hadn't had committments, I still wouldn't expect her to change her plans if she wanted to be off for her daughter and the start of the leaving cert. If she was that important to the meeting, they should have rescheduled as as mentioned above, the Whips should have ensured it didn't become an issue. We have to reschedule or cancel meetings all the time because people are on holidays.

I am all for politician bashing but this??? For what I can see, see planned to be off work for these days last Spetember and arranged a pair for Seanad votes. This particular meeting was only called on Wednesday and she had already had made committments. Even if she hadn't had committments, I still wouldn't expect her to change her plans if she wanted to be off for her daughter and the start of the leaving cert. If she was that important to the meeting, they should have rescheduled as as mentioned above, the Whips should have ensured it didn't become an issue. We have to reschedule or cancel meetings all the time because people are on holidays.

I wasn't aware of that detail and it does change things.
That said she gets long holidays and politicians working long hours, changing plans at the last minute and generally having to react to events is par for the course. It's a very hard job with long hours. If you can't handle that then don't become a politician.

That's the job and she knew that when she took it. If she doesn't like it she should leave and let someone who is willing to the job.

But are'nt most of them in the Seanad part-timers apart from the party hacks, although I'm sure a lot of them are auctioneers, publicans, funeral directors, the usual trades!
John Crown, Ivana Bacik, Gillian van Turnhout all have other main jobs with the Seanad as an addition. David Norris also was a lecturer in Trinners while holding down a Seanad seat

But are'nt most of them in the Seanad part-timers apart from the party hacks, although I'm sure a lot of them are auctioneers, publicans, funeral directors, the usual trades!
John Crown, Ivana Bacik, Gillian van Turnhout all have other main jobs with the Seanad as an addition. David Norris also was a lecturer in Trinners while holding down a Seanad seat

Yep but that makes it more important that when they are needed they are there.
They are expected to attend functions, funerals and every local cake sale and dog fight. I wouldn't do it.

Back