Daily labour cost how much ?

busymum

Can anyone advise roughly what i could expect to pay a casual labourer/construction worker for a day's work, cash in hand, for roof repair/general maintenance

A general labouror is usualy on between 150 and 250 a day. Have him work for a day before you agree a rate so you can see what you think is fair.

Not so im afraid ive heard of painters that i know and good ones working for €150 and less for cash. Believe it or not pretty good plasters working for €120 a day cash.But busymum remember when you pay cash you have no come back ,so if after you've paid €150 or so to get your roof repaired and it still leaks dont expect your labourer to come back to fix it for free."Penny wise pound foolish" as my old man used to say.

If you are getting your roof fixed it is best to go to someone good other wise you'll be wasting your money.

A good roofer will set you back somewhere between €200 and €400 per day (probably €200 cash).

Normally the man I use from time to time will expect you to have the materials delivered before he calls to you, so he won't be wasting time getting them.

forgive me for saying so, but a lot of peopleon this site talk an awful lot of rubbish when it comes to discussing the value of the self employed on a day basis. it takes a proper tradesman longer to qualify than a garda, a prison officer, as long as a teacher so forth, you get the drift, think of their wages, the trades has to pay his own holiday time, bank holidays,full prsi, pensions, health cover etc, commercial indsurance on his vehicle, public liability insurance, advertising, running costs on a van which are considerably more than a normal car, and for an added bonus just before or shortly after christmas you have to pay an accountant to tell you how much to give the government. i know alot of you guys and ladies are of course looking for a bargain but bear in mind the tradesman ends up with about half what you give him . AND you do not let a general worker or labourer near a roof. regardless of his capability , if you do you are the contractor, if he gets injured you may not have a roof over your head that needs fixing

Can anyone advise roughly what i could expect to pay a casual labourer/construction worker for a day's work, cash in hand, for roof repair/general maintenance

Please bare in mind that paying anybody in cash is illegal and defrauds the exchequer. It also does impairable damage to legitimate small business that pay tax and insurance etc.

Please bare in mind that paying anybody in cash is illegal and defrauds the exchequer. It also does impairable damage to legitimate small business that pay tax and insurance etc.

Two very good points, Legitimate tradesmen have certain costs as outlined by an earlier poster that have to be covered every day before the man, or woman can pay themselves. The guy that charges you E150 cash will make more than the one who charges you 200 legitimately. A lot of people working for cash are also collecting dole, catching the conscientious citizen on the double. People who employ cash-only tradesmen are just as guilty IMHO.

Please bare in mind that paying anybody in cash is illegal and defrauds the exchequer.

AFASIK, it's perfectly legal to pay someone in cash. It is the trades persons responsibility to pay their own taxes & look after their obligations to revenue.

AFASIK, it's perfectly legal to pay someone in cash. It is the trades persons responsibility to pay their own taxes & look after their obligations to revenue.

You are quite right, but OP used the term "Cash in hand" I don't need to explain to you or anybody else what that means.

I don't understand that advice. Why "cash" Why would it be so much cheaper if cash payment is involved?

Because the tradesman wouldn't have to pay any income tax, PRSI, etc as more than likely he's not going to declare that income. Also wouldn't be charging VAT.

Just to clarify I pay my taxes like any good citizen.

I said between €200 and €400 and you could get someone for the price I mentioned but my guess is if it is only 1 day of work for 1 man then €200 cash would be enough (if going down the cash route).

forgive me for saying so, but a lot of peopleon this site talk an awful lot of rubbish when it comes to discussing the value of the self employed on a day basis. it takes a proper tradesman longer to qualify than a garda, a prison officer, as long as a teacher so forth, you get the drift, think of their wages, the trades has to pay his own holiday time, bank holidays,full prsi, pensions, health cover etc, commercial indsurance on his vehicle, public liability insurance, advertising, running costs on a van which are considerably more than a normal car, and for an added bonus just before or shortly after christmas you have to pay an accountant to tell you how much to give the government. i know alot of you guys and ladies are of course looking for a bargain but bear in mind the tradesman ends up with about half what you give him . AND you do not let a general worker or labourer near a roof. regardless of his capability , if you do you are the contractor, if he gets injured you may not have a roof over your head that needs fixing

Hi skingtile, I'm a craftsman I've done my craft for almost 40 years, I do hope you were not saying I was talking rubbish

I agree wth you totally (bar the bit about me talking rubbish)

I was speaking about what you could get someone for

I don't understand that advice. Why "cash" Why would it be so much cheaper if cash payment is involved?

I didn't say what price it would be I said it would be between €200 and €400 hundred but most likely €200 if it was cash and no receipt.

As Baldyman27 said people who charge cash only with no receipts put people like me out of business because I can't compete with someone who has no tax bill to pay.

come and work in London for a few weeks, nobody gets this kind of money mentioned here. you would be lucky to be getting £120 a day before tax for qualified trades.
these rates in Ireland are far too high. everyone has gotten used to earning €1,000 + a week over there and that day has truly gone. wake up and smell the coffee.

Can I just ask, totally off the topic, so sorry, but what does 'IMHO' and AFASIK' mean, I am sick of seeing them pop up and not know!

come and work in London for a few weeks, nobody gets this kind of money mentioned here. you would be lucky to be getting £120 a day before tax for qualified trades.
these rates in Ireland are far too high. everyone has gotten used to earning 1,000 + a week over there and that day has truly gone. wake up and smell the coffee.

Wake up indeed!

You would be correct bar 1 point.

You are not talking about self employed trades you are talking about an employee.

There is a big difference!

these rates in Ireland are far too high. everyone has gotten used to earning €1,000 + a week over there and that day has truly gone. wake up and smell the coffee.

I worked in London for years and was making £220 per day after tax five years ago. Do you work in construction or where did you get your figures from?

Back