Looking for a 4 days a week IT job

cnu

A big hello!

A friend of mine is venturing to work only 4 days in a week or may be less because of change in his family circumstances. He has no clue before he starts firing his CV to everyone as to is this okay for him to ask the recruiters? Are there any claw-backs that he has to be careful about?

thanks
me on behalf of redsam

Am working with a Business Analyst who is doing a 3 day week. It was what they specified, so it is possible. I'd say target banks / finacial sector.

Probably difficult to get a permanent job on this basis, but it may well be possible to pick up a contract. I've worked with several contractors who were unwilling to go full-time and always worked 3 or 4 days a week. His other option would be to get a full-time job with a company that offers family-friendly working options and apply for these options after a year or so.

Thanks for your replies D8Lady and RainyDay!

So lets say I have to go about for a 4 day week job, do i let the recruiter know immediately? What I mean is do i need to tell them during interview or when I file my application it self? It may sound silly, but this is the reason for asking: I dont wanna loose getting shortlisted because i have opted for 4 days a week. I'd like to come up atleast until the interview stage when the interviewer can decide something like "This lad is good, 4 days a week may not be a bad idea if we hire him..."

Thanks guys!

your replies are greatly appreciated!

To be honest, the scenario you describe seems fairly unlikely to me. It's not a question of whether they think the lad is good. If you have advertised a full time role, and you are faced with 1 candidate who wants a 4 day week and a couple of other good candidates who will be working full-time, who do you think will get the nod?

Back