Architects Opinion on Building Regulations

bmount

Great if you can help.

Did an extension early in the 2000's. There was an architect involved and its a planning permission based job. He made a few visits (and did the original detailed plans) and we got that "Opinion on compliance with Planning" done a few months afterwards. That's fine.

Now we are sale agreed on the house and the purchasing solicitor is looking for the "Opinion on meeting Building Regulations" which is effectively part 2 of the above which we don't have.

The originl architect is out of the country until end of July and we need this done this weekend. SO I do have an RIAI architect lined up for this weekend to do it. I know there will be a fee caveats around lack of fire door and ceiling height in one of the rooms.

The question is, is there any reason the buyer has a right to turn around and demand the original architect to do this form ? and what are the chances of that ? This would be a huge problem for us as we are also buying a house entirely dependent on the sale. And as I said the original arhictect is not in Ireland.

And secondly, how open and honest should any caveats be in the Opinion on Building Regs Form be ??

thanks for reply, advice really welcome.

"The question is, is there any reason the buyer has a right to turn around and demand the original architect to do this form ?"

No - they could ask but it is not a right.

"I know there will be a fee caveats around lack of fire door and ceiling height in one of the rooms."

This will be your problem.

"how open and honest should any caveats be in the Opinion on Building Regs Form be ?? "

Very. Open and honest. You should not expect an Architect to lie or "sugar coat" problems and omissions.

Apart from anything else, your purchaser's surveyor / their solicitor will spot anything out of the ordinary.

mf

Back