Reporting a stash of wood (antisocial behaviour) to whom?

GoldWings

Dear all

My estate is scourged with anti social behaviour at this time of the year (Halloween) from fire works etc. Last year I contacted all the local TDs and councillors and every single one of them put me onto the Gardaí and basically I was told to put a sensor light outside the house...... Very disappointing outcome as it's a big problem and affects a lot of people. But neighbours are very afraid to come together and do something about it - I've tried!

I noticed that these youths are storing a stash of wood in the back garden of a derelict house nearby (the house was burned out by the same youths a few months back, I kid you not, and the owner is in Asia).

Who should I report this to? Local Council? Gardaí? Fire Brigade?

Our local council, SDCC, usually go around the estates and try to remove as much of the wood as possible before the bonfires start. Fair dues to them that they have also introduced an open day in to encourage people to dispose of their waste, free of charge, rather than give it to the children going around collecting.

Your Council should be able to help. It is also totally unacceptable for your public representatives to throw the problem back onto yourself.

I would think CCs are responsible for arranging that. However, if the wood is in a derelict garden rather than public land, wonder whether that woudl be a different issue?

I noticed that these youths are storing a stash of wood in the back garden of a derelict house nearby (the house was burned out by the same youths a few months back, I kid you not, and the owner is in Asia).

That's a very serious allegation.
If you suspect that arsonists are storing combustible materials I suggest you contact the Gardaí.

Council/Local authority is your first stop OP.

I reckon arson isn't on the minds of the youths involved rather 'tis just having the stash of fuel for a great big fire on bonfire night.

After that try the Gardaí and your local public representative.

Dear all

My estate is scourged with anti social behaviour at this time of the year (Halloween) from fire works etc. Last year I contacted all the local TDs and councillors and every single one of them put me onto the Gardaí and basically I was told to put a sensor light outside the house...... Very disappointing outcome as it's a big problem and affects a lot of people. But neighbours are very afraid to come together and do something about it - I've tried!

were you never a kid yourself

I was a kid, but I didn't go around lighting fires in derelict houses.

The wood is fair game laying there

Just you and a few friends head over, take as much as you need and put it in your shed for winter.

I'm assuming you have a shed and a fireplace here

I'd go for all of the above, plus your local councillors. You'll probably see them out canvassing for the Presidential election, so it's a good time to land on them.

Back