Buying new home - pyrite certificate

Ning

I'm considering buying a duplex in an apartment block built in 2006 in an area affected by pyrite (Meath). I'm buying directly from the builder as 'new', the builder is selling the existing stock.

I don't see any report for that estate around pyrite when searching the internet, but I'd rather be 100%. Do I have a right to get a pyrite certificate? Is it mandatory, or is there any type of protection for the buyers following the pyrite situation?

I don't think a simple survey mandated by me would give a definitive answer on whether there is pyrite.

This seems to me an excellent question, that many people would like to see answered.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, just thought it deserved a bump up!

There is a comprehensive list of properties which have pyrite issues but its not available to the public lest they be in a position to make an informed decision on the biggest purchase of their lives and one for which they likely pay for over the next 20-30 years...but never fear,if you do inadvertently buy such a property there is always Homebond who will immediately remedy the situation and pay to have it put right.:rolleyes:

A JUDGE has ordered a ban on naming more than 25 new housing estates where residents have complained that their homes have been damaged due to the use of pyrite.

To prevent panic among homeowners, the Commercial Court has ruled that a list of the estates -- along with several quarries alleged to have supplied the defective material that caused floors and walls to heave and crack -- will be kept secret.

The list, compiled by Homebond, the builder's insurers, comes as politicians have warned of a pyrite "epidemic" in Ireland, with up to 20,000 homeowners complaining about cracked floors and walls and swelling.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...in-pyrite-probes-to-stay-secret-26662271.html
Ireland,what a foine little Country you are.

Back