Leaflet drop

starringme

I've recently lost out on several houses in the same estate. I'm pretty sure that there'll be another couple on the market in the coming months but I'm trying to avoid ballooning prices and am thinking about taking matters into my own hands. Is it foolish/pointless to do a leaflet drop into houses in the estate with my details, in the hope that any potential sellers might contact me?

Has anyone contacted directly (solicited?) sellers and if so, did it work? I suspect people would immediately discard something like this or go running to the local EA who already knows I'm keen on the area.

Any advice appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with it but to be honest I would ignore it if I got it. There is no reason for me to agree a private sale with you rather than opening it up to the market if I think the demand is there and by the sounds of it, it is.

Having said that, you might be lucky and someone will want a very quick sale without the hassle of estate agents.

You would need to personalise it as otherwise it could be treated as spam. Thats how i would deal with such a letter.

I think it's a great idea.

Give your name and your phone number - preferably a landline, as auctioneers sometimes use this trick.

There are some sellers who do not want their neighbours to know that they are selling.

Have you some specific reason for wanting to live in this estate, for example, a family member also lives there? If so, give that reason.

Brendan

In her book "The Irish Property Buyers Handbook", Caroline Tallon has an interesting chapter on off-market properties. According to her, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that up to 30% of house sales are "off market". OK, so that's 'up to', but it does suggest that there is an avenue there worth exploring. Then she goes onto a case study and gives an example as you suggest, a leaflet drop. Worth a try, I reckon.

We had a note in the letter box last week which was something similar but from an EA.
It had the appearance of a hand written compliment slip and all the neighbors got one.
It said something like "we have recently sold a property in your area and 5 bidders who were unsuccessful are ready to purchase. Please contact EA blah blah"

Can't believe we're back here again!

Yeah even dead cats bounce but they can still bounce a lot higher around Stoneybatter.

@Brendan Burgess nothing so personal, I've just been renting in the area for a couple of years and like it as a FTB.

Yeah even dead cats bounce but they can still bounce a lot higher around Stoneybatter.

@Brendan Burgess nothing so personal, I've just been renting in the area for a couple of years and like it as a FTB.

I'd imagine this area will become increasingly popular, it has so much going for it. The new DIT complex and the eventual regeneration of O'Devaney Gardens will bring a whole new dynamic to the area too.
Not exactly Stoneybatter but I've always thought the strech of NCR from Hanlons Corner to the Phoenix Park gate has the most unrealised potential in Dublin. They would make fantastic family homes. The houses are just amazing, especially the first row of very tall red bricks that overlook Drumalee. It's a pity that there so many of them appear to be in terrible states of repair.

Back