Plan to travel to Thailand/Australia - Is it doable, how much money needed?

Danielle24

Hi guys,

As the title suggests i'm planning to go travelling around Christmas and want to know how much money would be needed.

Planning to head to Thailand around the 27th/28th for about 2 weeks then on to Sydney for a year.

So would need to factor in Visa, Health Insurance, Flights, Spending Money. Hoping someone with a bit of experience could give me an idea.

Here's a rough idea of my financial situation. Savings in work sharesave scheme - €2250. I have increased this, so will be paying €320 per month in to this. Then hope to save another €500 myself. I have €500 saved myself also.

Current debts - €500 OD with AIB and €650 OD with UB. I willl be clearing the AIB debt between this month and next month and paying a bit of the UB debt. The UB is a student OD so no interest on that, so not to fussed about clearing the whole lot before I go.

I have a credit card with €1000 limit on it, got it strictly for travelling. I also plan to sell my car for about €2000.

Wages - €1878 (After Sharesave is taken).

Car Insurance - €42
Food- €160 pm
Petrol - €160 pm
Doctors - €220 pm
VHI - €11
Netflix - €6.99
Slimming World - €36 pm
Bills - €50 approx pm
Rent - €380
Lotto - €20 pm
Broadband - €20 pm
Phone - €20 pm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Australia has become a hugely expensive place to visit. The cost of living is very high there and eating and drinking out nearly on a par with Scandinavian countries.

Are you planning on working there?

Danielle24 you have an expenditure of €220pm on doctors, have you factored in continuing treatment into your travel plans? Any underlying conditions are likely to have an effect on health insurance costs. Also accessing continuing health care while abroad may need to be factored in.

Australia has become a hugely expensive place to visit. The cost of living is very high there and eating and drinking out nearly on a par with Scandinavian countries.

Are you planning on working there?

Yes i'm planning to go on a WHV

Danielle24 you have an expenditure of €220pm on doctors, have you factored in continuing treatment into your travel plans? Any underlying conditions are likely to have an effect on health insurance costs. Also accessing continuing health care while abroad may need to be factored in.

My expenses are that high as i've only start a new treatment every week. It should go down over the next while. Also I should be able to manage with painkillers while i'm abroad if needs be.

Just to be cautious, confirm that you can legally access the painkillers in the countries you are travelling to and whether they are over the counter or only available on prescription. You will also need to factor it into your health insurance calculation.
Down to the nuts and bolts. You'll need to sort
- Flights
- Visas
- Holiday accommodation in Thailand
- Any activities you wish to engage in on holidays
- Food
- Spending money
- Initial accommodation in Oz
- Permanent or semi-permanent accommodation in Oz (deposit, initial rent etc)
- Funding to cover time of job search and getting set up
- Emergency fund

As dereko1969 has said, Australia is now quite an expensive country to visit and even living there is now considerably more expensive than it has been.
Have a read through this article, it covers some very good points
http://www.irishexaminer.com/busine...e-most-out-of-a-move-to-australia-218012.html

I use Skyscanner to search for flights. For your dates I was getting best price €449 to travel to Thailand and lowest price to Oz (I didn't specify a cities) was €224 (and a LOT of messing about in airports) to Gold Coast.

Do you know anyone down there at the moment?

Just to be cautious, confirm that you can legally access the painkillers in the countries you are travelling to and whether they are over the counter or only available on prescription. You will also need to factor it into your health insurance calculation.
Down to the nuts and bolts. You'll need to sort
- Flights
- Visas
- Holiday accommodation in Thailand
- Any activities you wish to engage in on holidays
- Food
- Spending money
- Initial accommodation in Oz
- Permanent or semi-permanent accommodation in Oz (deposit, initial rent etc)
- Funding to cover time of job search and getting set up
- Emergency fund

As dereko1969 has said, Australia is now quite an expensive country to visit and even living there is now considerably more expensive than it has been.
Have a read through this article, it covers some very good points
http://www.irishexaminer.com/busine...e-most-out-of-a-move-to-australia-218012.html

I use Skyscanner to search for flights. For your dates I was getting best price €449 to travel to Thailand and lowest price to Oz (I didn't specify a cities) was €224 (and a LOT of messing about in airports) to Gold Coast.

Do you know anyone down there at the moment?

The plan was to bring medication with me and get a doctors letter.

Yeah I checked on Skyscanner, seems one of the cheapest, but not as cheap as you found them. I have a friend in Sydney and friends in NZ and the plan was to meet them all in Thailand, spend New Years together. Not sure how doable that is at the moment though.

Talk to your doctor, chances are they have had a similar situation before so they may be best placed to advise you on travelling with medication and management abroad.

Pick the city you are thinking of living in and have a look at the price of accommodation. That will give you a good ballpark of the amount you need for deposit and rent. As your friends are in Sydney I'm guessing you are probably thinking of there? Talk to them and find out what they are paying and where they are living. Also ask them what they think of the cost of living and how much they'd reckon you'd need.
Also no harm in asking them if you could make use of some floor space or a sofa for a week or two while getting settled in :)

Have a look at the Australian Department of Immigration website to see about visa conditions, process and prices http://www.immi.gov.au/

Talk to your doctor, chances are they have had a similar situation before so they may be best placed to advise you on travelling with medication and management abroad.

Pick the city you are thinking of living in and have a look at the price of accommodation. That will give you a good ballpark of the amount you need for deposit and rent. As your friends are in Sydney I'm guessing you are probably thinking of there? Talk to them and find out what they are paying and where they are living. Also ask them what they think of the cost of living and how much they'd reckon you'd need.
Also no harm in asking them if you could make use of some floor space or a sofa for a week or two while getting settled in :)

Have a look at the Australian Department of Immigration website to see about visa conditions, process and prices http://www.immi.gov.au/

Thanks for that. Yes Sydney first. Have my visa, booked my flights :) Really have to save, save, save now. Yeah hoping I can stay with her for a week or two, don't want to make them feel obliged either, so i'll leave it to them.

Back