Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wages which should have appeared in my account on the 22nd of June appeared in my account yesterday evening. No sign of the payment in respect of the 29th of June. One weekly mortgage payment appeared to have been taken. This was progress however matters appear to have gone backwards.

I viewed the account online a few minutes ago and the account has reversed there is now no evidence on my wages which were there yesterday and the account is now identical to the way it looked on Monday of this week.

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning here. Outsourcing is not necessarily a worse solution than employing full time staff. In some cases it could be a better option - e.g. if you get the benefit of better expertise and service level agreements written into the contract. Remember that the original (arguably xenophobic/racist tinged) explanation that some poor mug in India precipitated the problem has already been debunked.

I didn't mention outsourcing and not what I meant either. The guys they are re-hiring are able to charge *very* hire rates, and some of them are. This just shows that they are willing to spend the money to fix the problems.

There are ATM specific fees on any of the UB current account products. Jowell does not know what he is talking about.

Agreed that the compensation needs to be much greater than a commitment to ongoing free banking.

The compensation, at this stage, needs to be a monetary amount and also fee refunds.

Any monetary amount is likely to be looked down upon by most people. For every 10 Euro to every customer costs them over 1 Million.
Personally I'd be happier with firm defined commitments to improve things and stop it happening again. That and no fees for life, or even no fees on UB to UB stuff, I'd live with that. Offering no fees for life is *way* more than any possible compensation they could offer.

Any monetary amount is likely to be looked down upon by most people. For every 10 Euro to every customer costs them over 1 Million.
Personally I'd be happier with firm defined commitments to improve things and stop it happening again. That and no fees for life, or even no fees on UB to UB stuff, I'd live with that. Offering no fees for life is *way* more than any possible compensation they could offer.

Unless they make some meaningful cash offer I will not be happy.

You are easily pleased with free fees. Most won't accept that.

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning here. Outsourcing is not necessarily a worse solution than employing full time staff. In some cases it could be a better option - e.g. if you get the benefit of better expertise and service level agreements written into the contract. Remember that the original (arguably xenophobic/racist tinged) explanation that some poor mug in India precipitated the problem has already been debunked.

The reality is that in outsourcing situations like this is that you replace experience with inexperience. And while that can work fine in some areas like programming, it falls down when it comes to the operations side. There you need experience, maturity and a good understanding of the business operations...

Unless they make some meaningful cash offer I will not be happy.

You are easily pleased with free fees. Most won't accept that.

Lets look at it this way, they offer everyone 100Euro. How long would it take fees to eat into that? Based on the amount I paid with PTSB over two months, less than a year. BOI/AIB then maybe 3-5 years.

It is also much easier to sell something like free fees for all current customers for life, compared to X euro per affected customer, and remember not all accounts would have been affected. Someone with a dormant account with no in or outgoings doesn't deserve compensation. However someone with a different bank that was equally affected perhaps does? Difficult to come up with something fair.

Lets look at it this way, they offer everyone 100Euro. How long would it take fees to eat into that? Based on the amount I paid with PTSB over two months, less than a year. BOI/AIB then maybe 3-5 years.

Even shorter imo. I swapped from AIB in May because of the fee introduction by AIB. I had free fees but of course they show up on your account then they credit them back to you.

I had a standard AIB account, and done everything online, transfers etc, no direct debits and my 1/4 fees were always in and around €35, so the €100 offer would be gone within the year based on aIB fee amounts.

I'd be happy if they gave me free banking for life. I moved from AIB, where my charges were averaging €30 a quarter (I had been getting them refunded before they changed their requirments).

I don't see how they could just give everyone money. And how much would people be happy with? If they gave everyone €100, I bet fees would be introduced in 2-3 years, maybe less.

Maybe I'm more laid back about it as I had money in my account and could still access it so wasn't really affected. My wages from the 22nd June only went into my account 2 days ago and I'm still waiting for my pay from 29th but I have enough to see me through until they get this sorted.

Update on the KBC end - I accessed my online account today and (at least according to their system) the money was credited to my account on the day it was presented. Of course, they may just have it showing there but not cleared.

Point being - although KBC originally used Ulster for clearing there doesn't seem to have been any delay in getting my funds through. One was a personal cheque from AIB, and the other was a draft from Anglo/NBRC/AIB Direct.

z

...My wages from the 22nd June only went into my account 2 days ago and I'm still waiting for my pay from 29th but I have enough to see me through until they get this sorted.

There is no logic to how they are processing transactions. I have not got wages that were due on June 22 but yours went in two days ago. Like you, I'm lucky to have enough to keep going until it is fixed.

Whatever is planned as compensation must be proportionate to the individual impact, they are a commercial for profit entity that are only trading because of their parent RBS who is only trading because of the UK Govt tangible cash supports, they are in reality almost a completely nationalised Bank and i would not like to see them depart our market.

I'd prefer not to speculate on compensation for now. I was also was at my branch today to be met by a newly arrived uniformed Security person, all a little O.T.T. in my view., we all have our personal records with this ' glitch ' so here's mine.....a cheque I lodged June 21st has not yet shown up on my account, moral of this story is to be and to remain multi-banked, as my mammy used to say don't keep all your eggs in one basket.....indeed.

There is no logic to how they are processing transactions. I have not got wages that were due on June 22 but yours went in two days ago. Like you, I'm lucky to have enough to keep going until it is fixed.

You cannot determine the "logic" of an (IT) system by watching it from the outset only.

Ulster Bank 'Shut Down' Ulsterbank.ie Online Banking Until Normal Service Restored ???

[broken link removed]

Service Temporarily Unavailable
We regret this service is temporarily unavailable and thank you for your patience.

As we continue to work hard to clear the backlog caused by our current technical issues, we have suspended our online application service until we return to normal service. We will continue to provide daily updates on our progress on our website. For the latest information please visit Help.

I got through just now. Can't see the message posted above. Either way is it not new applications for online banking that they are referring to?

I need to withdraw 2500 from my savings account tomorrow. There are sufficient funds and have been since before these problems started. I was able to withdraw cash last week, a fairly big amount, but after seeing comments here about people spending hours on the phone, Im wondering will I get it as easily tomorrow. We are in the final few weeks of a house renovation and need easy access to OUR money. Will we get it?
Also, I wonder why they closed down the online banking service?

I need to withdraw 2500 from my savings account tomorrow. There are sufficient funds and have been since before these problems started. I was able to withdraw cash last week, a fairly big amount, but after seeing comments here about people spending hours on the phone, Im wondering will I get it as easily tomorrow. We are in the final few weeks of a house renovation and need easy access to OUR money. Will we get it?
Also, I wonder why they closed down the online banking service?
had no real issues getting larger sums of money from a savings account last week.
Online banking service is working for me just fine!

The issue with anytime banking appears to be just an incorrectly disabled link, the message is the exact same one that comes up if you try to apply for an account. Use the direct link as posted by previous poster and it seems to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back