FIS query

Babooshka

Hi, my FIS renewal occurs at the start of August, I will be filling in the renewal form either during or just after my daughters Leaving Certificate.

Can anybody tell me what happens in this instance? She will be going to college or repeating depending on results but I'm worried that as she technically won't be in full time education during that 2 month period she won't count for FIS and tbh I cannot survive if this is the case.

I have a younger daughter as well so this would be the difference between being counted as a family with one child or two.

Children aged 18 and over

If your child is 18 years of age or over, you can continue to get an Increase for a Qualified Child for three months after he or she leaves second level education or finishes the Leaving Certificate.

The above is from www.citizensinformation.ie which should answer most questions you have re the FIS guidelines, your Daughter's situation re education may have be decided upon by the time they renew as I understand there is a backlog with the renewal's as well as with first time applications, in which case you can send the details in quoting the claim number.

Best of luck

Just to point out that as there are no Qualified Child payments on FIS, the above may not apply in this situation.

If your daughter is under 18 at the time of renewal then she's a dependant for FIS regardless of her circumstances (school or otherwise).
If you are certain that she's returning to school or college when you renew, advise the Dept of that on the form. If they need more information they'll contact you.

Back