SpringBoard part-time courses - OPFP and IB - eligible or not?

dubinamerica

Saw a supplement in one of the nationals about college courses available on a part time basis. I'm interested in completing one at level 9 and it can be completed on-line. I am currently in receipt of OPFP and also half rate Illness Benefit. I obtained my primary degree 10+ years ago.

Does anyone know if I am eligible or am I ineligible due to I.B. ? Or should I apply and see what happens? I'm not sure how long I have left on I.B. at this stage, it may be finishing up soon enough.

According to the website, if you are in receipt of OPFP for 6 months or longer, you are eligible. Don't see why the Illness Benefit should come into it.

Before you begin work,training or education , you must obtain permission from Illness Benefit section. This is a general rule, so I assume it applies to the new scheme you mentioned (springboard). Best to check it out with Illness Benefit section in any case.

You can read more details in the Illness Benefit Operational Guidelines here (you might need to scroll down a bit to reach the appropriate paragraph):
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/illben.aspx#part4

Back