Till recipt and laser card recipt ,different amounts

thedaras

Hi, I was shopping at a large enough shop last week,and I have just noticed that the amount of my purchases,which the guy told me,and came up on the till screen is different to the amount that was charged on the laser recipt.
I thought the laser/credit card machine was connected to the till so that the amounts would tally.
Its the same shop recipt and the matching laser recipt that prints out at time of payment.
Its only a euro extra,but still,Im wondering now how many times this has happened ,a euro extra every customer would be a big amount.
What should I do?

I worked in a place where the till and the laser machine were not linked up, the staff had to put the laser/cc amount in manually

If you have both receipts I would definitely go back and query it, or go in and buy something small, pay by laser and see if it happens again. If the chap had to manually input the amount it might be an honest mistake. I used to balance the tills/sales at the above place that had a separated system and it did happen from time to time, I just put a refund through and kept the print out in case anyone came back to query it.

Hi JP, how would I know if he inputs it manually?
The credit card machine was facing me ,but is there somewhere else that he would input the amount other than the credit card machine itself?

That does sound odd, Many years ago I worked at a place where we took telephone payments and we had a big old CC terminal to manually input the sales amount, there was a separate pad for people to use a pin ( which we never used as all our sales were telephone based) that had to be plugged in to the main terminal then handed to the customer. I didn't think anyone still used those now! if he was using one of those you might not see the terminal he put the amount into, they are quite bulky and could be kept under the desk but there would be a wire coming out of the back of the pin machine going into the main machine. It would look something like this

http://www.adverts.ie/office-equipment-supplies/credit-card-machine/429949

I would definitely ring them, either it was an honest mistake or they are sneakily overcharging, like you say, if they do this to all their customers paying on card it would add up to a tidy sum

Last edited:
Had a look at your link,and I think that is the one that was used..Thanks Jp1234, Ill call in later today,and post how it went!

Last edited:
Back