Trip to Australia Passport expiry date

dewdrop

I am aware that passports should be renewed before 6 months of the expiry date. However I only realised my passport expires 11th April next and I plan a short holiday to Australia early next month. A complicating factor is I am a resident in the UK and I am fearful I will not have time to have the new passport before departure. I read that as far s Australia is concerned they only require you to have a current passport to cover your stay but I am concerned the 6 months rule might stop me from travelling at the airports. Any comment would be appreciated

You won't have a problem

The official system that is used to check validity requirements is called Timatic - all the airlines use it ... You can access it online on many airline sites such as here - http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/ - to check for yourself .. As you can see there's no 6 month validity requirement for Irish citizens visiting Australia ( don't know if you're stopping over somewhere en route - if you are and are leaving the airport check that too, direct transit won't be an issue though )

Make sure you apply for your ETA on the Australian Govt. site though - if you don't do that you'll have a problem for sure.

If you're in London the Irish passport office is near West Kensington (it moved, used to be over the road from Harrods !) .. they're normally very helpful , but passports need to be issued in Dublin so the fastest turnaround they can do takes a couple of days .. but in this case no need anyway .. don't stress yourself out about it there's no problem .. just renew it at your leisure when you're coming back.

Back