Sealing Tiles

MandaC

I have ceramic or porcelain (not sure which) tiles in my kitchen and utility room. They have a matt finish. Also have a light grey grout.

I spilled some mucky water from a plant on part of the grout in utility room and its now discoloured.

I am now thinking that perhaps I should seal the grout in kitchen before it gets destroyed.

Anyone any idea what I should use. I used a product in my old house that I more or less washed over the whole floor and it seemed to protect the tiles and kept the grout looking great for years, but cant remember what it was called.

Thanks.

You can seal tiles by using a dilute solution of PVA glue (5:1 water to glue) by painting over the tiles 2 or 3 times (allowing to dry between coats). Alternatively, there's a proprietary sealing solution available from all DIY stores - I think it's the "HG" brand- in a white opaque bottle with things like tile cleaner etc. Would recommend the proprietary solution as it's purpose-built but I've used both and they work fine.

Tip for the top - using the PVA glue solution also seals terracotta pots so they don't get that yukky mould stuff on the bottom.

Sprite

Thanks for that, it was the HG stuff I used before and I just could not think of the name.

I'm getting a bathroom tiled this week with standard ceramic tiles and a mosaic border.

Would it be useful to apply a "water/mould proof" solution to the tiles and grout before I start using the bathroom again? If so then what should I use?

Back