Expired licence and insurance

pingin

Just renewed my car insurance with a new company. I haven't received the documents yet but they want a copy of my driver's licence. Problem is that when I looked at my licence, it had expired a week ago. I completely forgot to renew it! I've done so this morning but it could take a fortnight to get the new one. They've kept my old one.

Should I own up to the insurance company or just wait for the new licence? Does the lack of a current licence invalidate my insurance cover? Did I commit an offence by telling the insurers that I had a valid licence?

I have a good (and honest) driving record and don't want to blemish it.

Very worried.

Look at the T&c's of your policy. Some insurers allow leeway, but if you've ticked the box that says "current licence holder" then you need to contact them immediately.

Driving without a current licence is a motoring offence; it may or may not invalidate your insurance. Check the policy.

Does the lack of a current licence invalidate my insurance cover?
No it does not. Only never having a licence or being disqualified can invalidate cover.

Thank you both for the replies. I'll study my policy documents in detail once I get them. Good to hear Time that my cover is secure. It means I'll be off the road for a while, but then I don't drive very much and get the train to work. Lesson learned! Thanks again.

Tell them the truth. You've applied for a new license due to the old one expiring, and are still waiting for it. You don't need to tell them when you applied for it.

Lying will certainly invalidate your insurance, and they will have no problem refusing a claim should you need to make one during the year.

My husband renewing his commercial policy n company needed my licence photocopied, realised id lost it, they renewed his policy on provision I didnt drive till new licence photocopy sent to them...wasnt an issue as I dont drive a van..

id tell truth n work on that, its only few weeks...better safe than sorry...

I'll call them tomorrow and tell the truth! Probably the best policy. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Back