US Airways Missed/Delayed connecting flights

B

bmccaff

I have booked return flights to San Diego this summer with US Airways.
There are 2 stops over and 1 stop back with approx 1.5 hours between flights which I thought was cutting it tight but flight was cheap at 560 Euro so decided to book it anyway

I was wondering would this Airline be obliged to compensate you or pay for overnight accommodation in the event that any flight was delayed and you missed connections.

Also could any one recommend the best travel Insurance company that would compensate for these events or lost luggage.

Hi,

I had this same type of conversation with a travel agent the other day and they mentioned that american airlines are usually much more efficient with flying schedules and this is why they can allow shorter connections. On the
other hand they seemingly don't need to compensate for a missed flight and any accommodation needs. I took this to mean that they don't need by law to look after you like our airlines are meant to.

You will need to look at the terms and conditions of the travel policies as far as I know to see what they cover for accommodation or lost luggage. You should run the search function either in this forum or on the front page to see what threads have details of travel options. The VHI for example have this list of cover [broken link removed] on their multiptrip policy.

1.5 hours is a long layover as far as most domestic flights in the US are concerned, have had 30 min connections and made all of them but it was a but scary.

The main one you should be concerned about is the layover where you first arrive in the US. Even if you have cleared immigration in Ireland (I'm not sure if the US Airways flights do or not) you'll still have to collect your bags, bring them through customs and then drop them on a baggage re-check belt. That can take some time.

After that, 90 mins on other sectors should be fine. If you miss a flight you should be re-routed as all your flights are with the one airline. When you mix airlines it's not quite to straight forward.

If you have booked "through" tickets with US Airways i.e your final destination on the day of travel is San Diego then the airline is obliged to accommodate you on an alternative flight / routing if your departure on any of the flight sectors is delayed.

Back