To buy or not to buy?

F

ftber

Well seems I have a dilemma on my hands

might make for an interesting thread

Basically i spotted a bungalow + 1 acre land on top of hill, within 21km of galway and close to new motorway being completed

price 130k

the building is not complete, 200sq m downstairs with another 80sq m possible in large attic which already has velux windows, by not complete im talking foundation, walls and roof are in place

builder quoted another 70k to finish it (insulation, windows, doors, plumbing, floors, plastering, electrics etc etc) currently getting quotes from other builders (i reckon plenty are looking for work nowadays?)

were trying to lower the price or do more work on it (at least insulation and windows so its airtight) for the price, theres plenty of properties for sale in area, absolute flood of them

anyways heres the decision bit

i could afford the site + building today for cash, and very jittery about keeping money in irish banks, after saving for years and never having a hope of affording a house the way things were going

and could possibly pay of the ~70k to finish it over a course of year

some personal info: i work from home, own business, provided theres electricity and internet no need to commute, im in my 20s, company director/main employee

so what do people think of this situation? what would you do?? any advice

Back