Will i get nothing at all of social welfare now as i have bought a house?

eco

hi all

im on jsa since january. Partner working full time. We just bought a house. Will i get nothing at all of social welfare now as i have bought a house? Will they see it as "oh she has the money to buy a house so shes getting nothing from us"

we got the house dirt cheap- a real steal and the monthly repaymments are lower than the rent we were paying

thanks

Your own home is not means tested so I wont worry too much about it. I would say many people with savings would look to buy a home before JSA kicks in as you would be recieving verry little if you kept the huge amount of savings.

Hope your able to explain where you got the cash from to pay for it. If you had bought it while in receipt of JSB then you would have no worries.

Maybe you mean you are receiving Jobseekers Benefit. Jobseekers Allowance is means tested and I don't see how you would be in receipt if your partner is in full time employment and you are living together.

Maybe you mean you are receiving Jobseekers Benefit. Jobseekers Allowance is means tested and I don't see how you would be in receipt if your partner is in full time employment and you are living together.

No its JSA not JSB

my partners wages are v low he only getting 320 a week, so the social welfare pay me jsa

The morgage in my partners name and we had the deposit saved up

Hope your able to explain where you got the cash from to pay for it. If you had bought it while in receipt of JSB then you would have no worries.

The morgage in my partners name and we had the deposit saved up

JSA should have assessed your savings as means. Did you disclose them?
If not you could be in trouble, they might even reassess your original claim and get you to pay some of it back. Otherwise, good move, its not assessed and your cash would be. you may even qualify for help with your morgage.

you may even qualify for help with your morgage.

is that possible? even though

1. the mortgage is in the other person's name (i presume this means that the bank expect that her partner's income is enough to pay the mortgage)

and

2. the mortgage started recenlty, but she was in receipt of JA since January.

The OP will not qualify for Mortgage Interest Supplement for the reasons outlined by Woodbine above.

Back