Who should I go with for a mortgage: AIB, BOI or EBS

corkmike

Hi All
I have approached AIB, BOI and EBS and all have said they will do business with me for a mortgage. The rates that each institution is offering me are generally the same, maybe only .1 to .2 of a difference. Given this I don't mind which institution I choose. I am looking at getting a long term opinion on which to go with. Has anyone any opinions on the long run rates of these institutions and if going with one over the other would result in a marginal gain i.e. a lower interest rate or which one is easier to deal with. Ths can be based on the past performance of these institutions and how they pass on rate cuts / rises to borrowers.
Any responses appreciated.
Regards
Mike

Last edited:
i had a mortgage with ebs wilton and found manager there great to deal with.. very clear and to the point on options etc,, (not related).

I'm in a similar boat at the moment. AIB, EBS, BOI and Ulster bank have said they'd give us a mortgage. we ruled out Ulster bank immediately due to their interest rates. BOI deinfitely have the lowest rates at the moment, but AIB and EBS are not much higher. I think we are leaning towards EBS since they offered us the highest amount. I'm not sure if any of these are historically better with rates. From dealing with EBS I have found them excellent in the past, which is probably influencing my decision too.

I recently used Halifax and found them to be very good, excellent rates too. They offer a price pledge that will keep your rate inline with base rates.

HI Curios,

Well i would take into consideration which way each bank will deal with you if (hopefully not) but if you should be unable to pay the mortgage.

I am just saying this from personal experience with regard to asking for a monotorium (sp)...My bank EBS said NO WAY NO HOW whereas PTSB and AIB give them (as far as I know) very easily....

I know this situation may not arise but just some food for thought if your looking for an extra reason to go with one of them.

1. Please take into consideration that AIB and BOI have an agreement with the government in cases of arrears ( is your employment secure )

2. EBS is a mutual Building Society...Customer Focused.

3. What are the variable rates like for all three. Please ask for copy of all rates ..as an existing customer..Ie when you become a customer ..if you go to fix later in the mortgage , who is best at present for existing lenders..AIB IS.

4. Will all three give you interest only or payment holidays in times of financial difficulties.

5. AIB have a good 3 and 5 year fixed rate. AIB will let you split the mortgage over different fixed rates. ie €100,000 on a 1 year fixed and balance on another fixed rate.

6. BOI let you pay fortnightly which means you pay less interest back to the bank over the lifetime of the loan. AIB do not allow this.This is great if you are paid fortnighlt also...like teachers etc

good luck

6. BOI let you pay fortnightly which means you pay less interest back to the bank over the lifetime of the loan. AIB do not allow this.This is great if you are paid fortnighlt also...like teachers etc

I didn't know that!
*moves BOI to the front of Soarer's mortgage queue*

Back