flights to Northern Cyprus

Maggie B

Hello,
are there any direct flights to northern Cyprus from Ireland or UK or which airport is best to fly into.
we have been offered the use of an apartment but have to sort our own flights and have never been there.
Any web site or info would be great thanks

Technically there are no flights to Northern Cyprus from anywhere except Turkey, since Turkey is the only country that recognises the existence of Northern Cyprus.

However in practice as the link RMCF (and plenty of others if you google them) sent there are "direct" flights from the UK (none from Ireland that I'm aware of though) which stop in Turkey en route for an hour (you don't normally have to get off the plane)

If you do go Kyrenia is a lovely port town around an old fort and the Crusader castles in the hills behind are fabulous - especially St. Hilarion. Personally I preferred the North to most of the Southern coastal strip.

thank you both for replies , I have checked the link and also did google search.
I can get flights from Stanstead but there seems to be a long delay on stop over ;on way out(unless there is a big time difference) I used the link OP gave.

Time difference is +2 hours ... looking at the Stansted flights on the link from RMCF they show as about 6 hours (they look like longer on the way out (~8hrs on the clock) and shorter on the way back (4hrs on the clock) due to the time difference)

6 hours sounds about right to me - It's a 3.5-4ish hour flight to Turkey from London ... an hour's stopover and then an hour or so hop to Ercan in Northern Cyprus adds up to about 6 hrs.

(To your original question there is only one airport in Northern Cyprus at Ercan - so you have to use this airport)

It is possible, but a bit of hassle, to cross the border between the two "countries" .. so getting a flight from Dublin to Larnaca might be an option as well. Though I don't know how you'd get from Larnaca to the north - it's not easy to bring a southern rental car to the north as far as I'm aware.

Time difference is +2 hours ... looking at the Stansted flights on the link from RMCF they show as about 6 hours (they look like longer on the way out (~8hrs on the clock) and shorter on the way back (4hrs on the clock) due to the time difference)

6 hours sounds about right to me - It's a 3.5-4ish hour flight to Turkey from London ... an hour's stopover and then an hour or so hop to Ercan in Northern Cyprus adds up to about 6 hrs.

(To your original question there is only one airport in Northern Cyprus at Ercan - so you have to use this airport)

It is possible, but a bit of hassle, to cross the border between the two "countries" .. so getting a flight from Dublin to Larnaca might be an option as well. Though I don't know how you'd get from Larnaca to the north - it's not easy to bring a southern rental car to the north as far as I'm aware.

we are an older couple and have not driven abroad(I ;understand Northern Cyprus is same as Ireland for driving) we are thinking of flying into Larnaca and getting taxi from there(might hire car for local travel when we get settled)
Would there be problems then with border control if we use taxi

we are an older couple and have not driven abroad(I ;understand Northern Cyprus is same as Ireland for driving) we are thinking of flying into Larnaca and getting taxi from there(might hire car for local travel when we get settled)
Would there be problems then with border control if we use taxi

No personal experience of taking a taxi from one side to the other but http://www.cyprus44.com/holidays/getting-around.asp suggests it's fairly simple

Back